Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

SSR for Flash...Thunder Scenario

Peter

Hey guys, just want to verify I'm understanding this SSR correctly. In the 3rd scenario of Heroes of Normandy (Flash...Thunder), there is an SSR titled "Friend or Enemy" which states:

Friend or Enemy: Due to the great confusion of the night, you cannot Melee units that were unspotted at the beginning of the current impulse.

In addition, the Night Rules are in effect (so max LOS range of 2 unless target under a Fired marker). So here is my situation. There is a US squad under a Moved marker three hexes away from German units. It is the German's impulse. Can they initiate melee against this US squad three hexes away (see pic below)?

upload_2018-10-15_12-6-31.png

I was thinking that the Germans cannot Melee the US squad since it was not visible to the Germans at the beginning of their Impulse (Night Rules max of 2 hex sight range). But am I mixing up "Spotted" with whether they can be seen from the German's starting hex? Thanks in advance for your help!

Pete

Herb

Pete, I am currently playing that scenario by email with someone. We decided to play it as written, that if the hex were 'spotted' (not necessarily within 3 hexes of someone) that it would be ok to initiate melee because of the hex being spotted. Not sure what others will say, but that's how we interpreted it. Herb

Hey guys, just want to verify I'm understanding this SSR correctly. In the 3rd scenario of Heroes of Normandy (Flash...Thunder), there is an SSR titled "Friend or Enemy" which states:

Friend or Enemy: Due to the great confusion of the night, you cannot Melee units that were unspotted at the beginning of the current impulse.

In addition, the Night Rules are in effect (so max LOS range of 2 unless target under a Fired marker). So here is my situation. There is a US squad under a Moved marker three hexes away from German units. It is the German's impulse. Can they initiate melee against this US squad three hexes away (see pic below)?

View attachment 6998

I was thinking that the Germans cannot Melee the US squad since it was not visible to the Germans at the beginning of their Impulse (Night Rules max of 2 hex sight range). But am I mixing up "Spotted" with whether they can be seen from the German's starting hex? Thanks in advance for your help!

Pete

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
A strict interpretation of the rules would describe the American units as spotted but out of LOS so the Germans can melee them.