Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Stalin’s Triumph, scenario: Stal Stal Stal

Jay Townsend

Stalin’s Triumph, scenario: Stal Stal Stal

This is the largest scenario in the NaW series so far and it takes about two hours just to sort counters and setup but it is fun. The Germans have objectives on all three maps, so they can’t just concentrate on one area and the Soviet defend or enter on all three maps as well. The Soviets have 10 formations and the Germans 7 formations but the German’s Totenkopf has two formation markers, so it is like the Germans now have 8 formations in the draw cup. One thing, I ran out of wreck marker and gave up on marking them, once they ran out, as there will never be enough.

I won’t go into a long AAR, as it would be too long and the ebb and flow went back and forth. I remember early the German 25th Panzer Grenadier got hit by both a Rocket barrage and a HE Fire Mission and I was ready to give up but what was left of them soon recovered and I battled on. The German have a nice force of very strong Tiger tanks to keep the Soviet’s armor in check most of the time and both sides have some airpower that show up but the Soviets have a ton defensive obstacles and defensive works to overcome, like you would expect from a Kursk battle.

Long story short by the end of turn 15 the German’s controlled their map 7 objectives but only little more than half of their map 6 objective and none of their map 5 objectives, so it is a Soviet Victory. Two major thing prevented the German from achieving their victory, through the Chaos event, they got Torrential Rain, and now all armor movement is reduce by one movement factor for the rest of the game and this happened around turn 6 or 7. The Other thing, one turn only one formation marker was drawn before three end of turn markers showed up. So with the rain/mud and the shorten turn, it was like losing 4 or 5 turns, which if the Germans had these back, they could have possibly won. At times, you will need more Disrupted Markers as well but a fun scenario in the NaW series to try.

Jay Townsend

I hope some other gamers play this scenario and chime in. It was worth the play, good Kursk battle stuff!