Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Stalin’s Triumph: The Bridge At Berezovyy Logg

Jay Townsend

Stalin’s Triumph: The Bridge At Berezovyy Logg

First let me state that Victory Conditions have a direction errata. The section that says (the southern side), should say eastern side or it wouldn’t make sense.

Another interesting looking scenario, it starts out with the Soviet 71st Guard Infantry and the 31st Tank defending a key bridge and they setup minefields in front of the village of Berezovyy Logg with the 31st Tank defending in the western parts of the village and the German approach with a few units of the 71st Guard Infantry. The rest of the 71st Guard Infantry defend on the east side of the river in trenches protecting the Bridge. The Soviet 3rd Tank reinforcement arrive on turn 3 with the better T-34/76 armor compared to the T-70s of the 31st Tank.

The German arrive on turn one from the western edge of the map with 320th Infantry and the 18th Panzer and also a FW-189 UHU Recon plane to scout things out. At first I didn’t think it would be possible for the Germans to fight through the Soviet defensive works and control the Bridge hex and two road hexes east of it and all in eight turns.

The first couple of turns were rocky for the Germans, hitting minefields and T-70 tank fire and I thought it wasn’t possible to achieve their goals but I continued on and to my surprise things really turned around for the Germans. With the extra Designated Formation Marker, 3 x 3x4 HE Fire missions and a Recon plane the Germans not only overcame the Soviet’s starting force but also the T34/76 reinforcements. It really helped and was only possible because the Germans had the extra activation marker and sometime activated the same formation twice in a row out from the draw cup. This helped that the German’s Pz-IV & StuG IIIG armor took out the Soviet T34s and allowed the German 320th Infantry to hit the Soviet second line of defense and those trenches on the eastern side of the river, using the HE artillery strikes really opened the last door on the last turn for the Germans to achieve their victory conditions.

The German had just about everything go right for them on this gameplay, with activations, dice rolls and Artillery strikes. On the other hand, the Soviets probably should have defended with all the Infantry forward one the western side of the river and their T34s on the eastern side of the river as the blocking force instead of attacking forward with them. If I revisit this I’ll give it a try. Even though the Germans won this time, I think this scenario still favors the Soviet with only eight turns, hard to say? Fun size scenario to play.

Zac

Website
zacgaming.wordpress.com
On the other hand, the Soviets probably should have defended with all the Infantry forward one the western side of the river and their T34s on the eastern side of the river as the blocking force instead of attacking forward with them
That is how I approached it when I played. The artillery really turned the game around for me as I had a similar situation to yours where the Germans were having a rough time of it an then some good artillery results opened the city up for them.

It is definitely on my replay list as there are a feww things I would like to try again.