Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Steam

TMO

Ioncore, thanks for your explanation of Steam. More questions but don't want to clog up the main forums so thought I'd post here. In modding estabs I'd often get a version that wouldn't save, so I always created backups. Can you still do this? If so, again, where do they sit? If I open an estab in steam it points back to my LnLGames file on C (C:\LnLGames\Command Ops 2). I've found something in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam\games but only 3 files.

Regards

Tim

TMO

My machine doesn't find C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Command Ops 2. Is that because I've only downloaded the free version?

Regards

Tim

Grognerd

As a user only I can't answer that. Maybe try running as administrator - hidden files perhaps? It's got to be somewhere on your hard drive. Personally I would not think it's because you installed the free version. All the other purchased items are modules which still require the main executable file.

TMO

Don't think it's antivirus. If I go into Estab Editor from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Command Ops 2 it points back to C:\LnLGames\Command Ops 2. If I try and open Mapmaker or Scenario maker get: upload_2020-11-15_23-7-7.png

ioncore

Website
ioncore.livejournal.com
What do you mean exactly by pointing back?

Do not try to launch editors manually from under the steam folder, this won't work.
Use the procedures as I've described here
https://forums.lnlpublishing.com/threads/sitrep.1107/page-46#post-36699
Ioncore,

I took this to mean the issue where the game software defaults to searching the location of a last save rather than a location in the directory where the software routine was originated.

Estab Editor defaults to the location where the last Estab was saved, or in absence of that, I've seen a new install default to the windows $user/documents folder.

I believe it involves the regedit settings.

TMO

Hang on. Does that mean I need a LnL version and a Steam version. Getting very confused! Also can't log in to the LnL website (again!). Have raised a support ticket but have heard nothing.

Regards

Tim

Hang on. Does that mean I need a LnL version and a Steam version. Getting very confused! Also can't log in to the LnL website (again!). Have raised a support ticket but have heard nothing.

Regards

Tim
No.

It means you have to search for the default directory where the software was originated if opening the Estab program doesn't initially search there.

I have at least three directories on my computer -- the default LnL install, the default Steam install, and a test install, since I'm also a Beta tester.

If I'm not careful, if I want to search a test Estab from my test directory the test software will default to the Estab directory in either Steam or LnL depending on where I last saved an Estab file, or worse, when while developing a custom scenario and saved an Estab to a game development directory i established, the software would default to looking in that custom directory for an Estab, and I'd have to redirect the search to the proper game, Steam, or test directory.

It's a glitch where the Windows registry automatically points to the last directory used by any of the game software.

TMO

OK, finally worked it out! And all seems good. Thanks for the help.

Regards

Tim

TMO

Ok chaps, I have Steam keys, but how do I use them to download the games I already own? Any help much appreciated.

Regards

Tim

TMO

One thing I've noticed is the graphics from my LnL downloaded game is much crisper than the Steam download. Though some of the LnL download dialog boxes are 'cut off' (i.e. you can't see their entire contents). Prefer the LnL version.

Regards

Tim