Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Supply Bug

Mehring

I'm not sure if I ever encountered this in CotA so it may be imported from a subsequent build. Playing Maleme I found a number of serious supply issues.

XI Fliegerkorps base has tons of supplies of all sorts yet even with a 'max' basics setting, it remains without any basics for its own use and at 85-9% fatigue. It unilaterally wakes itself from rest orders from time to time.

The base does not supply any of the three units drawing from it, XI Fliegerkorps HQ, 5. Gebirgsjaeger Div base (since D7 07:48) or Luftlande Sturmregt base (since D4 22:02, not sure if supply drawn from this base on D4). Three orders remain unprocessed.

The base log does not indicate any losses taken but it appears under strength, I imagine this is accounted for by the repeat resupply missions undertaken to/from SEP 1.

At one point, I think D6 21:30, I moved the base to Platanias, after which I first noticed the issue. Thinking it might be due to distance to SEP 1, I moved it back to the airfield, I think D7 16:48 corresponds with this in the log. Now at D8 12:44 and the problem persists, the base just resupplies its stocks but never supplies itsself or units drawing from it. 5. Gebirgsjaeger Div base requested resupply D7 07:48 and is now virtually empty of any stocks for drawing units. XI Fliegerkorps HQ has not requested resupply and remains without basics.

This forum does not allow me to upload a file of this type.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Mehring,

To upload files other than those allowed, just zip them and upload the zip file. It's allowed.

I believe this issue was fixed in an earlier build. What build are you running? You find that at the bottom right of the map in the game. The latest is 5.1.27.

Mehring

Thanks for that, here's a save. I'm using 5.1.27

Attachments

• AutoSave #8.zip
    652.9 KB · Views: 6

simovitch

OK so I took a look at the save file, there are a couple of things going on here. The XI Fliegerkorps base has taken over 50% casualties and there are no personnel left to load the supply vehicles and manpacks. Note the "handling" count is 0 in the depot tab under the force data. Same condition for the Geb. Div 5 base. You have to protect your bases from casualties or this is the inevitable result.

Only 2 bases are drawing from SEP 1 at the airfield: FlgKp XI and FJ Regt 3 (which is processing supply like a champ). This late in the game there is not much you can do but I would have set FJ Regt 3 to min basics and FlgKp XI to max basics a few days ago and seen if that helps get the personal stocks up for FlgKp XI. Even so, it would still not be able to distribute anything without any handling capacity.

These facts aside, the FJ supply network on Crete is not set up to continue the campaign in earnest past D5 or 6 when the GB 5 Div should take over. All things considered you are doing quite well.

It would be nice to have the bases automatically manage it's personnel to take over some of the handling tasks but it cant at present. You can however mitigate the problems by protecting your bases and setting the supply toggles to max/min etc.

Last edited:

Mehring

Thanks for getting round to this Simovitch. As I said, there is no record of the bases having taken losses. Check the logs. I don't recall this from the battle, either, most opposition in that area had been cleared by the time the bases arrived.

simovitch

Thanks for getting round to this Simovitch. As I said, there is no record of the bases having taken losses. Check the logs. I don't recall this from the battle, either, most opposition in that area had been cleared by the time the bases arrived.
Hmmm the log only goes back to D6 and the unit arrives on D3. I would need an earlier save to see what happened, but it took a major hit somewhere.

Mehring

I'm afraid I posted that so long ago you have more saves than me. I do recall though, that the fighting was nowhere near the bases by day three. Unlike the Luftlande regiment base that got knocked about a bit on landing, unless it was hit by an allied airstrike I doubt it took any losses at all. When retreat options are available bases need concerted, deliberate effort to really damage them, not something the AI is really good at.

More likely in my view is that moving the base had something to do with it, perhaps returning supply units never rejoined the base?

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
I did take a look at this but it took for ages to run through. I just didn't have the time to track this down. But what I would say is that the most likely cause of the problem is the incredibly low transport capability of the airborne base. It relies on manpacks. There is barely enough for it to resup its forward units from its current loc and that can't be too far. It has no capacity to deploy away from its SEP. So you need to locate these on or very close to an air drop or air landing SEP. That is how they were actually used in WW2 and it's why the British Airborne at Arnhem were forced to defend the wretched air drop site 8 clicks from their objective.

If we had instances of other bases being affected like this then I would agree there may be something wrong with the code but a sure fire way of determining if this is the case or not is to change the estab for that base to one that has some trucks and see if you get the same problem.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
OK tracked this one down. I had added some code a while back to increase the percentage of personnel devoted to cargo handling for bases. Alas I was too clever because I took the unitPersQty and deducted the pers allocated to current supply runs. I had forgot that unitPersQty of bases already reflected the supply runs and hence I was double dipping. Because of this the unit thought it had no means to handle the run and hence aborted the supply request.

FIXED for build 5.1.29