Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

SW Possession

Warren Smith

OK, I'll admit right up front that I have an ASL bias and so will apologize if this is a stupid question. I'm learning the LnLT system. Played my first game of the demo scenario last night and enjoyed it.

In regards to possession of SWs, is there any particular reason why SWs possessed by MMC are placed *under* the MMC? Or is it just a matter of it has to go somewhere, so why not?

Obviously, ASL places them *over* the MMC. I think that placing them underneath can lead to confusion in regards to abandoned weapons. So, if a weapon is on the ground and then an MMC moves in, you have to pick up the SW and place it on top of the MMC so that you don't think the MMC is carrying the SW. This just seems fiddly to me. That said, you're going to be fiddling with counters no matter how it's done.

So, my question, would be is there any real problem with treating it like ASL and keeping possessed SW on top of the MMC? Or is this just a matter of semantics that won't really matter as long as both players understand and agree? Is there any situations in which having the SW on top of the MMC would create problems or confusion with something else?

Thanks for any comments.

Ralph Ferrari

Staff member
I played ASL for a number of years, so not sure if it is a preference, but I had always played LnL by placing the SWs on top of the unit possessing it, and did not run into any issues. It wasn't until recently that I began playing LnL by placing the SWs under the unit possessing it. It does require that you keep track of abandoned SW ownership, but isn't too difficult.

I guess it depends on what you feel comfortable with playing, either way will work, just as long as your opponent is okay with it.

Qwirz

I also play ASL(SK)...lot of ASLers here on LNL! It's a nice thing!:)
No
problem in placing SW underneath the unit. More: We play that you can examine enemy stacks only if spotted; so SWs are always "hidden", and Mr.Julien's wonderful counters are visible! We orient unpossessed weapon at the inverse in respect of a unit which enter its hex and doesn't pick it up. .....hope grammar helped me.....

Jeff Lewis

Placing them under seems natural to me, and that's as it's written. With the X-maps there's space for next to it. In the end it's whatever you like as long as you and your opponent agree. We are flexible here at LnLT.