Sword to Caen

Discussion in 'CO2 - Scenarios' started by Bie, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Grognerd

Grognerd Member

No it's not stepping on toes, I'm looking forward to seeing it. I got as far as creating a MapScan0, then another war game product was released and I worked it up in that editor for quite awhile. It's pretty near finished in that product. I was familiar with that editor from previous editions.

I hope in your library you have Richard Frank's "Guadalcanal The Definitive Account of the Landmark Battle" - Best book on the subject I've ever read. Tons of information from both sides perspectives and lots of tables and such for OB work.
    Over the last 50 years or so I have amassed quite a decent library on many topics, one of them WWII of course.

2. Grognerd

Grognerd Member

It is a bit tedious but the map editor is not hard once you get the hang of it.
    Yes, 2450 square kilometers is a bit much, I'll try the whole thing for the challenge of it and then split it up if necessary (since that does not appear to be too hard). I'm retired, the map will take a month I bet so other than watching the dogs and house-cleaning it gives me something to do!
    Since replacements are not part of the game engine I will only model the first few days worth of fighting, the battle for the beachheads.
    A lot of work for just a few days, but what the heck.

Edit: My favorite board war game of all time is Avalon Hill's Longest Day (go figure Ha!)

2nd Edit: Maybe your correct, might actually be more interesting (and work better) as a series of battles for Normandy!

#42 Grognerd, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  3. TMO

TMO Member

Does anybody have a map editor guide? Trying to add/edit a couple of names on Bie's excellent Sword beach map.

Regards

Tim

4. Kurt

Kurt Member

here

Attached Files:

5. TMO

TMO Member

Thanks!

6. TMO

TMO Member

Hi Kurt, opened it up but it's the wrong mapmaker guide. The one you loaded is for Panzer Command Ostfront.

Regards

Tim

7. jimcarravallah

You should have the MapMaker manual in your Documentation directory under the core directory for the install.

In Steam on Windows 10 the path is C:/Program Files (X86)/Steam/Steamapps/common/Command Ops 2/Documentation.

8. TMO

TMO Member

Not there I'm afraid.

Regards

Tim

9. Kurt

Kurt Member

Oh yeah ! sorry dude

10. Kurt

Kurt Member

TMO is correct , there is no map maker guide in docs . I seem to have lost my personal copy of this guide also .

11. TMO

TMO Member

Perfect, thank you so much

Regards

Tim

12. J. van Limpt

J. van Limpt Member

I'm looking forward to this scenario. Looking great.

13. Bie

Bie Member

Try it out J. A release version of the scenario has been added to the Pegasus Bridge scenario pack.

Tell me how it turns out. Apart from playtesting I actually haven't really played through the whole scenario yet.

#54 Bie, Jul 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  14. J. van Limpt

J. van Limpt Member

I'm going to, thanks! I have a question. Do you happen to know where I can dl the Taganrog 1943 scenario too?

So glad to see people are making scenarios. CO2 is so worth the attention.

15. Bie

Bie Member

Can't help you with that. It seems that the original dropbox download on Thesharpendgaming is down.

16. panzerpit

panzerpit Member

I have a copy of Liberation of Taganrog scenario, albeit I don't know if I can share it without the creator's permission...

17. J. van Limpt

J. van Limpt Member

That's okay. I already found it.

18. Bie

Bie Member

With the change in the road movement value from 3 to 65 the dynamics of the Sword to Caen have also changed somewhat. That's why I decided to revisit the scenario. So now I'm doing some gameplay trails in order to tune the objectives and the AI's reaction to them.

Secondly, with my growing familiarity of British army organization I've taken the opportunity to put in the mortar/carrier/AT platoons for all of the infantry battalions instead of the generic AT support company. I've also decided to do some naming revisions in order to be more consistent with my other scenarios.

Finally I've fully modeled the 51st Infantry Division (not all units were in) and added just about all of the units of the Infanterie Division 711. I'm hoping to put out a new version tomorrow, so I can continue my work on Goodwood - Atlantic.

panzerpit likes this.