Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Tabletop Simulator vs Vassal

Surfcandy

Another TTS vs Vassal but since these are always improved I thought I'd ask. Which one are you using and why?

Also where are the best forum/website to find opponents? Thanks

Erik Winroth

I use Vassal but has never tried TTS, so I can’t say which is better.

I use Vassal due to old habits I guess. Never had any reason to swap as I works good enought.

I almost exclusive play with old friends. The games are as much a social event as a gaming session.

Surfcandy

I know many are used to Vassal and old habits are habits. I too like Vassal but I am very surprised at the gameplay and especially the graphic quality in TTS.
Also just when I thought I've seen all the wargames TTs has to offer I find a link to dozens of more wargames listed by a Steam member's Collections. Amazing stuff especially if you buy TTS on sale for around $10 and LnLT looks great on TTS.( it 's on sale now on Steam).

Last edited:

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
I play only on Vassal because I PBEM almost exclusively. Also, I find it hard to manipulate the components in TTS, especially when it comes to assembling many maps.

seagles

The graphical "pizzazz" of TTS is certainly sweet, but I find hex and counter wargames much easier to manipulate and manage with VASSAL.

BravoCo

I use both. Depends on the opponent, and what they know how to use or are willing to learn how to use. I am new to wargaming so I learned how to use both. I prefer TTS because I want to recreate the feel of sitting opposite someone at a table playing a game. TTS has more manipulating involved that can prolong I game, but I don't mind. VASSAL does have some scripts that are useful during game play. The most annoying thing about VASSAL to me though is limited camera angles with respect to map. Ultimately, you should try both in my opinion. A lot of it boils down to personal preference. They both allow you to play someone virtually, but they deliver different experiences. What kind of experience you value more is up to you.

Regarding finding opponents, I posted in this forum, but did not find any opponents this way. I found my opponents either via Facebook, BGG or Discord.