Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

The Southern Shoulder

EzraNehemiah

I haven`t had much luck with bridging the Sauer in the south with 212th Volksgrenadiers Div. Despite the failure, I am having alot of fun with the scenario. I had to divert north and come down through the 276th bridgehead. The time lost was critical. The little "memorial" cross sadly was my bridge engineer unit. Once I was pinned down, it was only a matter of time and all was lost.

Screenshot 2014-12-17 16.46.00.png

Here is an interesting quote from, "Hitler`s last Offensive" regarding my failure;

" The Volksgrenadiers had poured across the Sauer but the American artillery on the Schlamm Bach ridge, although forced to move several times, had fired their fifteen howitzers almost without stop, slowing the German advance and preventing the putting in of strong bridges needed to carry the heavy supporting weapons" (Elstob 194-195).

In the game, this very thing happened! Upon reading this in the book and seeing it happen in the game, I was given a new appreciation for the remarkable, yet varied, outcomes of Command Ops. I have learned to slow down and appreciate the depth of this simulation--Bravo to the development team!

As a result (in the game), I was unable to achieve an exit in time. Why? Because I lacked the needed support and failed to coordinate my artillery with my final assault.

Screenshot 2014-12-19 17.49.04.png

Quite a remarkable game (if I can use the term).

EzraNehemiah

This was my final result (with no delays). I have played the scenario three times and so far this is the best I can do--so far.:( It gives me an appreciation for how tough the assignment was for Brandenberger`s seventh Army. It must have been discouraging when faced with insurmountable odds. I was more successful in the northern sector than the south.

"After three days of constant attack all five of the American forward strongpoints which 212th Volksgrenadiers were scheduled to knock out on the first day were still holding out and none were now surrounded" (Elstob 202).

My excuse for my dreadful efforts were,

"There were no bridges over either the Sauer or the lower reaches of the Our for the Germans had themselves destroyed them in their September retreat. We have already seen how the Sauer opposite Echternach flowed too fast for the left wing of Seventh Army`s attack. The time that was lost in finding a crossing-place further downstream contributed to the failure to set up the southern flank on schedule" (Elstob 91).:p

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-12-19 19.00.21.png
    Screenshot 2014-12-19 19.00.21.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 16

Daz

Well done mate. :)

That was a very interesting quote about the American artillery on the Schlamm Bach ridge.

Thanks
Daz