Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Thunder at Prokhorovka new scenario

john connor

This is done for Axis v AI only at the moment. I'm working on balancing it for Allies v AI and for H2H.

Get the files here:

In the resources section at LnL.

Instructions for where to put files.
1. There is an estab zip which contains three EF estab files by Chris (CapHillRat) Maiorana. Unzip to a location of your choice then copy the 3 files into your estab folder in the main BFTB directory. (Even if you already have his EF estab then maybe just overwrite it as this is his latest updated version, done for his own excellent Prokhorovka scenario.)
2. There is a 'Thunder at Prokhorovka' map zip. Unzip somewhere, then copy into the Maps folder in the main BFTB directory.
3. The largest file, I think, is the map cache - the cop.cache zip. Unzip somewhere and also copy into your Maps folder in the main BFTB directory.
4. Finally the scenario zip 'Thunder at Prokhorovka Axis v AI'. Unzip and copy into your 'My scenarios' folder within the Scenarios folder of the main BFTB directory. If you haven't got a My Scenarios folder then just make one first.
It should then run ok.

This is what it starts like:

22.png

If anyone downloads and tries it then all comments and suggestions welcome! There is a fairly long explanatory note in the briefing when you open it. It's my first map ever, though it seems to work fine. Any probs, let me know. Cheers.

Peter

Last edited:

john connor

I've added (to the Dropbox link) a scenario file balanced for Allies v AI or H2H play.

john connor

I'm just updating the map and scenario files today, Perturabo. I've been tinkering with the map effects settings that control the 'opacity' of objects. By objects I mean anything on the map - forests, field, village, road etc. I have always felt vaguely dissatisfied with the LOS calculations because when you visit a real life battlefield it nearly always seems, to me, from the ones I've seen, that RL LOS is much more restricted than in game, even taking into account the necessary footprint abstraction. I've raised this sort of thing frequently in the old matrix forum, but I didn't realise until recently, doing these scenarios, that you could actually quite easily tamper with the settings which control how much objects like buildings and trees can be 'seen through'. If you go to google earth and look at the Prokhorovka battlefield present day then I think it more or less looks the same as in the pictures I have in several books. Basically, it's huge wheat or sunflower fields, broken at distance by lines of trees and lower bush type growth. But the lines of trees really do completely block LOS where they occur. I have done this map and the one in the The Corridor scenario with lines of trees placed roughly where they are, as far as I could determine, then I have tinkered with the 'opacity' settings to try to make them much more of a LOS obstruction than they typically are in Command Ops scenarios. If anyone has had a shot at these scenarios and noticed anything, please feel free to comment!

Peter

john connor

I have now worked more on this scenario, but for Axis only. I have placed all the files in the resources section here at LnL

kylania

Is this for CO1 only? The only links I can find for this in Resources are CO1 only, yet this thread is in the CO2 forums section?

john connor

I converted it for CO2 too. But then I removed it because the estab was innacurate. So it's not at present available, sorry. If Dave were to let me use the official EF estab in development, if one exists, then i could work with that.

Peter