Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Transport helicopters

HJohn66

When a MI-6 helicopter transporting an infantry and BMD gets 2 hits ( is shot down), what happens to the transported units? I went with destroyed but could see if were an odd roll would disrupt and reduce them.

Keith Tracton

Staff member
Hi! Sorry for the delay I had to sift through some expansions PDFs to find your answer. I hope this helps! BTW your answer is correct as far as WaW85 is concerned unless flying in what will be the new Nap of Earth mode. :)

- Keith Tracton, Developer, World At War 85 Series

5.3.4 TRANSPORT HELICOPTERS AS TARGETS

If a transport helicopter is disr upted, the infantry it is carrying is disr upted. If a transport helicopter rallies, the infantry it is car rying rallies. If a transport helicopter is hit when already disrupted, roll 1d6: if the result is even, the helicopter is eliminated. Place a Wreck marker in the eliminated helicopter’s hex (yes, one of those vehicle Wrecks). If the hex is currently occupied, roll 1d6: on a roll of one (1), one randomly selected unit in the hex receives a hit (6.1.6). The transported infantry is also eliminated.

If the result is odd the helicopter is removed from the board (the helicopters which make up the unit have crash landed). Place a Wreck marker in the eliminated helicopter’s hex. If the helicopter is over any terrain except clear, clear with road, cultivated, or non-crestline/non-forest hill terrain, the infantry is also eliminated. If the infantry is not eliminated, place the formerly transported infantry, disrupted and reduced, in the hex. If the presence of the newly unloaded infantry would cause the hex to be overstacked, place the infantry in one adjacent hex of the opponent's choice. If the unloaded infantry would be placed in a undisrupted enemy ground unit's hex, the infantry is eliminated. If the enemy unit is disrupted, conduct assault combat immediately, remembering that both units are disrupted.

Keith Tracton

Staff member
I am compiling notes on all these answers in forums and wanted to give you the official WaW85 version:

10.7.3 Results versus Transport units and Passengers

If a Flying or Hovering Helicopter Transport unit is eliminated, the Passengers and any HQ or Leader with them are eliminated.
If a Landed or Nap-of-Earth Helicopter Transport unit is eliminated, roll 1d6 for each Passenger unit:
  • On a result of 1 - 3, the Passengers are reduced and Disrupted, any HQs with them are reduced (or Suppressed if already reduced); any Leaders with them are WIA (or eliminated if already WIA).

• On a result of 4 - 6, the Passengers and any HQ or Leader with them are eliminated.