Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Trenches clarifications

What is the spotting roll for troops in a trench? It’s neither blocking nor degrading, so?

In the Brecourt Manor Revised map, I assumed troops 2+ hexes away had to still spot.

I also assumed they also recieved the 2+ TEM based on the rules. I was assuming the trench wasn’t a perfect straight line.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
The text in the scenario refers you to 21.6.1 in the V5.0 rules, where you can read the following:

Trenches are neither blocking nor degrading terrain; they take on the hex type (blocking, degrading or open) of the hex they occupy. However, regardless of the hex terrain, hexes with a Trench in it must be spotted as if they were in blocking terrain before units in the hex can be the target of enemy fire.

Note also that Trench hexes occupied by units under a Moved, Assault Move or Fired marker are spotted as per normal, but if other units are in the hex and not under a Moved, AM or Fired marker, they cannot be targeted except by Mortars and Artillery until they themselves are under a Moved, AM, Fired or Spotted marker.

Yes they receive the +2 TM except when the attacking units include a Mortar or are attacked by Off-board Artillery; in such cases the Trenches
only provide a +1 TM. Note that a Trench’s Target Modifier (TM) is added to the TM of its hex, not to exceed +4, as per 5.5.