Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.
Resource icon

Tunisia Module 2020-07-18

Dordo

Dordo submitted a new resource:

Tunisia Module - First battles in Tunisia 1942-43

I started this series of scenarios, late oct. 2018 to reconstruct a couple of battles that interested me, but starting the .estab file I realized that it was far from all the others present until now for CO2 and at the end I spent over six months to cover satisfactorily the definition of the forces of the period end '42 beginning '43 on the African front.
After all this time, of course, the interesting battles to be rebuilt had risen in number, and now I hope this is worthy of being called...

Read more about this resource...

Dordo

Anyone tried to compile the map for Operation Satin? :watching:

CriticalMass

Hi Dordo,

Firstly, lovely maps, much appreciated.

Unfortunately, I have to report that for the "01 Orano" scenario, I have an issue where if I zoom in to the maximum level I'm unable to select units of terrain data.

Dordo

Hi Dordo,

Firstly, lovely maps, much appreciated.

Unfortunately, I have to report that for the "01 Orano" scenario, I have an issue where if I zoom in to the maximum level I'm unable to select units of terrain data.

Sorry Mass .. I have not your problem :sorry:
.. maybe is something on your system, but I have no idea what maybe .. try different screen resolution
Perhaps, if you have a couple of hours, may help to recompile the map .. and even the map of Satin .. so you can post it to me ...;)

Arkadiy

I can only imagine how much effort went into these - well done! Downloaded, but didn't get a chance to actually play anything yet.
Took a quick look at Faid pass engagement as I fairly recently was gathering information about it, have a couple of comments.

On Axis side - the document you are referring to (Kasserine pass battle - Vol-I, page 36) has an accurate description of both Gruen and Pfeiffer battlegroups. I realize that the players can form on-the-fly groups of their own, but since you went through the pain of creating the hierarchy... The original docs are also available (in German) have further information describing division reserves, artillery and AA:
On Allies side, some minor notes around equipment:
- there are no M3 mediums in 1st tank regiment (don't quote me on that, but by this time there is only 1Bn in 13th regiment that still uses them). Same is true for Sidi Bou Zid - most of the tanks are M4 or M4A1
- there are no M7 Priest in US forces yet, T19 is used in AFA units (you have a mix in both Faid and Sidi Bou Zid)
- On some cannon companies of infantry regiments you included 75mm M3 GMC instead of 75mm T30 HMC
- a couple units are assigned M8 light armored car, which wasn't use yet
- Bazookas weren't yet used in either Sidi Bou Zid or Faid, here is an interesting note from Colonel Drake (CO of the infantry regiment that ended decimated in Sidi Bou Zid action):
One thing that I had no idea about is French force composition for Faid pass engagement - it looks like 2 battalions with barely any heavy weapons, and they were spread thin: Faid village, pass, Rebau. Yet the actual pass held on well after the village fell to the tanks - it delayed the central subgroup of Pfeiffer battle group long enough that it was a T3 + Blackshirts and Grun's tanks that had to defend against TF Stark.

Dordo

I can only imagine how much effort went into these - well done! Downloaded, but didn't get a chance to actually play anything yet.
Took a quick look at Faid pass engagement as I fairly recently was gathering information about it, have a couple of comments.

On Axis side - the document you are referring to (Kasserine pass battle - Vol-I, page 36) has an accurate description of both Gruen and Pfeiffer battlegroups. I realize that the players can form on-the-fly groups of their own, but since you went through the pain of creating the hierarchy... The original docs are also available (in German) have further information describing division reserves, artillery and AA:
On Allies side, some minor notes around equipment:
- there are no M3 mediums in 1st tank regiment (don't quote me on that, but by this time there is only 1Bn in 13th regiment that still uses them). Same is true for Sidi Bou Zid - most of the tanks are M4 or M4A1
- there are no M7 Priest in US forces yet, T19 is used in AFA units (you have a mix in both Faid and Sidi Bou Zid)
- On some cannon companies of infantry regiments you included 75mm M3 GMC instead of 75mm T30 HMC
- a couple units are assigned M8 light armored car, which wasn't use yet
- Bazookas weren't yet used in either Sidi Bou Zid or Faid, here is an interesting note from Colonel Drake (CO of the infantry regiment that ended decimated in Sidi Bou Zid action):
One thing that I had no idea about is French force composition for Faid pass engagement - it looks like 2 battalions with barely any heavy weapons, and they were spread thin: Faid village, pass, Rebau. Yet the actual pass held on well after the village fell to the tanks - it delayed the central subgroup of Pfeiffer battle group long enough that it was a T3 + Blackshirts and Grun's tanks that had to defend against TF Stark.

A lot of thanks Arkadiy
Finally someone replied to my work as I expected !

I think this module want a hard collaboration and exchange of information and taught.
I know very well my work is full of errors .. during one of the first battle I found Tiger tank armed only with MG without is 88 !
So if many people collaborate I tougth we could bring this module at a decent level, instead none tried to compile the map for "Satin" that I said is incorrect .. a very simple thing !
But if only two people are minded after more than one year I think this is time lost.
Furthermore I noticed someone have put my module on Steam but also from this side I have not seen a reply, confirming my opinion as I explained to Hugo Martinez Rodrigues.
In all this time I lost interest in this game and if your questions are correct and interesting I leave a reply and all sequent work to someone other .. if he exists !

Thanks and regards

Arkadiy

Ah, I completely understand. I honestly don't even know how you had patience for more than one or two missions. The game is very very niche and then from that small population, you'd need to find folks who are not only interested in Tunisia timeframe, but also have time to do the testing. Maybe I'll get ambitious enough to try and edit Faid and Sidi Bou Zid, but honestly, that's a long shot. But thanks again for the efforts - at some point I'll get to playing through the missions, and I think I'll enjoy them given my interest in the period.