Unit strength indicator issue

Discussion in 'CO2 - Game Support' started by SamuraiN, Nov 30, 2019.

1. SamuraiN

SamuraiN Member

Currently, the strength indicator appears to be calculated based on the personnel left in a unit, which can be quite misleading. There was an enemy Panther company that got all its Panthers out of action but with half of the crew left, and the indicator still showed yellow instead of red.

Combat power has the same issue. For that Panther company, the combat power showed 2.

2. Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor Panther Games Designer

Fair enough. What measure would you use?

3. SamuraiN

SamuraiN Member

For unit strength indicator, I think we can take the weighted average of current anti-personnel and anti-armour values, and divide this value by the weighted average of full strength unit values. Personnel number and armour value presumably have high correlation with those two values, respectively. And the same applies to bombardment value.

Combat power is bit tricky, as one Tiger II can be worth quite a few Shermans, and I personally would not mind getting rid of that function altogether. And relying on a single number is not a good idea, because a few Panthers can have the same value with a couple Pz IVs, but they mean very different things - I can pair the latter with infantry to conduct assault, but much less so with the former. And that combat number is quite difficult to balance anyway. Plus the unit symbols usually give a good idea about strength.

#3 SamuraiN, Dec 8, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2019