Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Vehicles, Passengers and Op Fire

TerryB

Hi guys,

This is the first time this has come up in one of my games and I'm not sure I handled it correctly.

I had a vehicle moving (10MP) that had expended 7MP when it got to a hex in which the passengers on the outside got hit with small-arms op fire. [17.2]

The vehicle was buttoned so only the passengers take the hit, they were shaken and forced to disembark, as per 17.2

The question arises as to what happens to the remaining 3MPs that the vehicle hasn't used. Are they taken up with the dismounting [16.4], or can the vehicle keep moving after disembarking?

Thanks in advance,
Terry

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Have no official answer for you. My take would be the vehicle has to stop

Jeff Lewis

The key here is that the Leg units are forced to disembark due to a combat result, which is different from a voluntary dismount, which costs both the Leg units and the vehicle half their MF since they are stopped and doing it in an (somewhat) orderly fashion. The Passengers are part of the vehicle for the attack, which is also key for the opposed die-roll. Anyway, since it's a combat result, there's no MP cost, and the disembarked units (think diving off for cover) are marked Moved (impulse over, no additional movement). The buttoned vehicle, unaffected, can then choose to stop or use up its remaining 3 MP. I can certainly see how this is unclear in v4.1, and will amend it in current work in progress v5.0.

TerryB

The key here is that the Leg units are forced to disembark due to a combat result, which is different from a voluntary dismount, which costs both the Leg units and the vehicle half their MF since they are stopped and doing it in an (somewhat) orderly fashion. The Passengers are part of the vehicle for the attack, which is also key for the opposed die-roll. Anyway, since it's a combat result, there's no MP cost, and the disembarked units (think diving off for cover) are marked Moved (impulse over, no additional movement). The buttoned vehicle, unaffected, can then choose to stop or use up its remaining 3 MP. I can certainly see how this is unclear in v4.1, and will amend it in current work in progress v5.0.

Thanks for that very clear explanation, Jeff. And thanks for adding these points to the new rule set. From what I can gather it’s going to be the best yet!