Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Water terrain in Scenario Colditz Casttle (Compendium 3, map 39)

CAMALEON

Hello.

This is a scenario from Compendium 3, using the map 39. In this map there are water hexes, but I do not see information about this water terrain neither in the HoN terrain chart nor in the scenario special rules.

By the way, this is not the first time that has happened to me, the same thing happened to me with the trench of Compendium 1 (scenario Brecourt Manor), where the type of terrain it was (blocking or degrading) was not said or how to treat it for spoting.
I could find that information finally in the digital manual v5.1, but it should have been in the compendium.

The truth is that I have not had much luck with the compendiums, all the scenarios played have caused me many doubts.

Thank you in advance.

Regards
Luis

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Hi Luis!

Consider the water hexes to be impassable and, to keep everything simple, include L6 in the lot.

Colditz Castle first appeared in 2009 under the guidance of the previous owmer in Battle Pack Bravo (and was actually designed by him). I cannot say how much playtesting went into it. Often times, playtesting is done in-house, for lack of volunteers, and those playtesters tend to assume things, such as people will know that you cannot get into water :) It is only when these scenarios are played by other people that these questions come up.

Now, Battle Pack/Compendium/Line of Fire (LOF) scenarios are played less ofthen then the ones that come into the boxed games. For example, it took 12 years for someone (you) to wonder enough to ask what are the specifics for the water terrain (probably others assume it was impassable, like all water bodies and rivers in LNLT). So the chance that these thigns are caught by the "backup' unit that are customers is even smaller.

Brecourt Manor first appeared on Board Game Geek, then in LOF2 (in 2008). At the time, the Trench rules on NOSB (published in 2007) did not provide any information regarding the blocking/degrading aspect, nor how to treat them for spotting. The scenario was reproduced as is in Compendium 1 in 2016. The present Trench rules, adressing your concerns, first appeared in Core Rules V5.0 in 2018. They were immediatly integrated in the revised version of this Scenario in the We Stand Alone Expansion (2018) and Compendium I (roman number) in 2020.

CAMALEON

Hi Stéphane,

Thanks for the clarification.
I was hesitant between making it impassable or a cost of 4 MPs (like the cost of water in HotP) as the design of the water reminded me of the one used in these maps (digital version).
It certainly doesn't look like the rivers of HoN.

Thank you also for your answer on BGG to the other questions. ;)

Regards,
Luis