Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

WaW85 Rules v2 Comment

DigitalRommel

Happy to be a kickstarter backer with 1300+ folks. Very nice work.

I'd like to make a comment about the unit names I've seen in the kickstarter products. I'm sure you figured 11 ACR is not part of West Germany, but here is another observation that I see frequently.

As an American, unit names between battalion/squadron and their regimental affiliation are separated by a dash (i.e. "-"), not a slash (i.e. "/"), unless there is actually a regimental headquarters.

For example, A Company, 1st Battalion, 68th Armor is "A/1-68 AR" and not "A/1/68 AR".

B Troop, 2nd Squadron, 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment, is shortened to "B/2/11 ACR".

Also regarding style, there are no 1st, 2nd, 8th, etc. It's just the number.

It was also typical in that era to append an equipment designation where it might be unclear.

As your game formations focuses on tactical formations, I personally wouldn't spend limited real estate on cards, tokens, and counters on information above the battalion/squadron level. The player is essentially acting with the c2 authority of a battalion/squadron commander. Their combat power is task organized based the scenario and that's a better place to add the flavor in my opinion. Two levels up; two levels down.

One additional note, is that HQ counter suppose to designate and indicate the main effort? Maybe just say that.

The commander's staff isn't bounding around up there. Commanders and Operations officers (S-3) usually had their own fighting vehicles - if not by MTO&E then by instructions. The XO was in the TOC with the majority of the staff. The TAC (i.e. Tactical Command Post-- sometimes called a Jump TOC) was usually split off with some S-3/S-2 officers in a M577 to ensure communication was established and battle tracking wasn't lost when someone needed to jump. Directional retrans was extremely important. It's hard to imagine now how painful the VRC-12 could be at the time -- given modern systems. Anyway, no need for a tangent.

I have some other notes, but at this point I'm assuming you're just looking at cosmetic things.

Keith Tracton

Staff member
Thank you! Looking forward to getting the game out to you.

The HQ counter is not simply the main effort, it also acts as the locus of the Command Range when determining who is in command during an activation. :)