Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Whole of Market Garden

J. van Limpt

I'm enjoying the module Highway to the Reich at the moment, but I would love to have a scenario which includes both Arnhem and Nijmegen.

Bie

Isn't that the "From the Meuse to the Rhine" scenario? I haven't played it, but isn't it basically the Arnhem and Nijmegen scenarios coupled together?

J. van Limpt

Isn't that the "From the Meuse to the Rhine" scenario? I haven't played it, but isn't it basically the Arnhem and Nijmegen scenarios coupled together?

You are right, it is. How silly of me not to notice. Thank you for pointing that out.

Bie

I've recently played both Nijmegen and Arnhem and I thought they were quite complex as it was.

Though it is tempting to do the Meuse to the Rhine scenario. I'm afraid it would fry my brain in the process

Adding Eindhoven on the other hand would make it a truely epic scenario. Geographically it doesn't really match up nicely with the other two though, as it is located more to the (south)west. In that case a whole lot of terrain would need to be added. But once done it would encompass whole Market Garden.

Anyway, if you do the Meuse to the Rhine scenario drop a line on how you liked it. I'm curious.

I've recently played both Nijmegen and Arnhem and I thought they were quite complex as it was.

Though it is tempting to do the Meuse to the Rhine scenario. I'm afraid it would fry my brain in the process

Adding Eindhoven on the other hand would make it a truely epic scenario. Geographically it doesn't really match up nicely with the other two though, as it is located more to the (south)west. In that case a whole lot of terrain would need to be added. But once done it would encompass whole Market Garden.

Anyway, if you do the Meuse to the Rhine scenario drop a line on how you liked it. I'm curious.
I've played From the Meuse to the Rhine as allies several times in an effort to determine what Montgomery did wrong in his execution of his plan. The play pretty much indicates that the problem was the plan that relied more on hope than effective allocation or resources -- a divergence from the Montgomery who was well schooled and comfortable in set piece battles, but not so effective in free wheeling variations from the plan.

As seen historically, it's a really difficult scenario to win, and extremely difficult to coordinate effectively given the two major battles.

As you demonstrated with your Red Devils AAR, seizing the Arnhem Bridge and holding it until reinforcements arrive taxes a single commander.

You have a similar workload with Nijmegen on a more restricted timetable.

And, there is no one else to help.

The game is manageable with numerous pauses at notifications and for examination of progress. I made it difficult when I focused more on one problem for one of the critical bridges and issuing orders to correct that problem without evaluating the other progress at the next bridge before restarting.

If you have the time and the discipline to evaluate each battle effectively as they run in parallel, the scenario is well worth playing particularly if you're interested in evaluating the results of more strategic efforts to end the war.

john connor

From the Meuse to the Rhine is my favourite scenario. I've played it countless times, modded it many times to try alternatives (including once dropping a whole new division that Jim created), and I think it's a fantastic way to learn the detail of the game. It has everything in it. It takes a long time to play - you have to treat it as 2 concurrent sceanrios for much of the time, and 2 large ones, at that. Even on two arrows speed it will progress at a realistic pace. Try it, Bie.

As a tip I would say - SPOILER ALERT - that if you play as Allies on Painfully Realistic Delay, with care you will be able to replicate the historical fact of the Allies actually taking the north end (at least) of the Arnhem road bridge (due to the delay affecting the Axis panzer arrivals more). Achieving this on realistic delay is very tough (I've never done it). It is possible - if you thus seal off the north end of Arnhem bridge to prevent the Axis from getting over the bridge and down to Nijmegan (Grabner's force) - it's possible, I mean, to stop that crucial armoured (recon) reinforcement of Nijmegan and thus the Americans should be able to secure both sides of Nijmegan making it possible for you to get XXX Corps up to Arnhem by about day 5, which can enable you to reverse history. It takes a lot of detail, though, and a lot of attention to command capacity overload, for example. Before assaulting any of the crossings south of Arnhem you must thoroughly soak the defenders with arty - right up to your attack - otherwise they'll likely be blown in your face.

Bie

From the Meuse to the Rhine is my favourite scenario. I've played it countless times, modded it many times to try alternatives (including once dropping a whole new division that Jim created), and I think it's a fantastic way to learn the detail of the game. It has everything in it. It takes a long time to play - you have to treat it as 2 concurrent sceanrios for much of the time, and 2 large ones, at that. Even on two arrows speed it will progress at a realistic pace. Try it, Bie.

Meuse to Rhine is definitely on my to do list. Yet I want to be decently prepared before I tackle that one.

I still haven't got the hang of fast paced armoured assaults. In Nijmegen and Arnhem I mostly blundered through the enemy lines and got to my objectives with quite a bit of luck.

I guess its just my nature of not taking to much risks.

john connor

You won't need to practice fast paced armoured assaults for FtMttR. More likely traffic management at snail's pace. Getting the armour organised on the few roads to get through the map is a significant challenge.