Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Wiggum's CO2 Sound Mod

Wiggum

Hi !

Because the in-game sounds (shots, explosions) are still very very bad i decided to create a mod for a more realistic soundscape with some good old *BANG*...
I did not use or edit any of the old sounds. I created and mixed all sound files from scratch using a audio editing software and different sound files from waclaw's "Combat Mission" Sound Mod.

Wiggum's CO2 Sound Mod v1.4 (Final):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/arvdby4u38li2ko/CO2_Sound_Mod_v1.4.zip?dl=0

Installation:
Copy to and override ...\Sounds\InGame (remember to make a backup !)

Credit:
Original Sounds by waclaw
http://community.battlefront.com/topic/118858-hqs-20-cmbncmrtcmfi/

Last edited:

blond_knight

For the scale of the game I think its fine. At the higher "speed" levels if you have multiple engagements its just a cacophoney.

Wiggum

The mod just makes the sounds more realistic and gives them more BANG...
I would say you have to try it, i think you will like it.

*budd*

I too think the sounds could use some more juice. I loaded your mod and will give it a spin this weekend. Thank you.

Wiggum

EDIT:
Uploaded v1.3, should be the final version.
Hope you can give me some Feedback !

Last edited:

*budd*

i have it loaded but have only managed 1 scenario so far. The mod was a little loud at the default, no biggy just clicked the sound down a notch. I like it, it does add some bang to the sound. The only one so i didn't like was the heavy AT sound but that might have been at the initial sound level where it was real loud. Other than that i think its well done and for me an improvement on the originals, again i have only played 1 scenario with it so far.

*budd*

I like the small arms, any way to put different sounds for the heavy, med, light mortar? I think the small arms and cannon sounds are my favorite. thanks for your work , sounds good when a lot of shooting is going on:)

Wiggum

I made a new version with a less heavy explosion for the light and medium mortars, heavy has the same sound as in v1.3.
That way (Light bang <Medium Bang<Heavy BANG) you can easily hear what kind of mortar is shooting.

Bullman

Incredible timing! I actually decided to go ahead and just buy the Commander Pack last week despite not feeling that I all together like playing this game (a separate issue, only partly related to this topic). I am familiar with the series (I had played some of HttR) and it seems nothing has changed or updated as far as sound in this game goes. I actually Googled "command ops sound mod" and I didn't find this thread btw and just found it when I broswed here. I was already thinking of doing my own (yes probably using some of the sound mods from CM as welL!), so thanks for doing this!

Yes, unfortunately, unlike many other games, sound and sound cues in this game does not feature highly and are of low quality, fidelity and not very imaginative. That is a shame because sound in games really is an important part of communicating information about game events to the player. With this game it almost seems sound and how it can be used in the game was a after thought.

I understand that sound and this game are problematic, primarily because of the variable speed of the game. It is true that this game can sound like a cacophony especially at high game speeds.

A few ideas/suggestions of places where sound is not used in this game where i could:
- Issuing ordes/editing orders (perhaps even a radio crackle)
- confirmation when issuing Air Strike
- general background noise, not hearing anything at all is kind of bland.
- clicking on a unit could activate a small sound based on what it's doing (eg. a moving armored unit you might hear rumbling track sound). Yes I know if overdone it could get annoying.
- retreating units saying "pull back" or something similar

These are just ideas/concepts. Would be great to have sound feature more in this game to help the players situation awareness for what is going on.

Important things to consider are the length of the sound clips. Again because of the nature of the game, knowing where the battle sounds are coming from is a difficult thing for the game to communicate. If you are zoomed in to a section of the map on the screen and you hear a sound, it doesn't mean that the sound was generated by something currently displayed on your screen. Perhaps a distance dependent sound attenuation model could help here so that the loudest sounds are the ones generated by units appearing on screen and the sounds generated by units that are not visible on the screen are still audible but have progressively diminished volume the further away they are. Would also help reduce the cacophony affect.

It would be good to have different sounds based on different weapons/nations. Eg MG42 buzz saw for German MGs.

Anyway thanks, I will happily load your mods up and give them a go. The sad thing is that it really shouldn't be too hard to improve on the stock battle sounds in this game. Anything will probably be better than what the game comes with.

Last edited:

Wiggum

Actually, i had the mod done in 1.5h, so nobody could tell me that it would distract Panther Games from other, more important, things if they would improve the sounds.

Stuff like that is a problem in all wargames and thats why they stay niche !
In Command Ops 2 you have outdated and bad Sound's and old fashioned menus
In the John Tiller games you have bad artwork that anybody with photoshop could improve greatly in a day
In Combat Mission you have a outdated multiplayer concept and graphics which dont have improved since 2007

Wargames could sell great but its those little things that put people off, i myselfe sometimes dont understand why they seem unable to improve even such simple things like the sounds.
I bet Panther games uses the same sounds since 2003 or something...

Bullman

The bridge blown sound to be effective it just needs to communicate explosion with debris splashing in to water.
The one in your pack does that and is better than stock, but just like the stock sound, I believe it is way too long and elaborate for what it is trying to communicate, duration of 11 sec. I think it just needs to be 5-6 sec with fade.

Keep in mind that this sound is competing with so many others.

Wiggum

I just kept the sounds as long as the originals because i did not want to run into problems with the way the game uses or calculates the sounds.

Bullman

Wiggim,

I totally agree with you and have the exact same things to say about all those games/developers you mention. But some developers (especially wargame developers) can't seem to see the forest (who the whole game comes together as a presentable professional polished package) for the trees (the nitty-gritty wargame details/mechanics that go in to the game).

It is amazing how much better a wargame becomes when people who are NOT your traditional "I don't care about graphics/sound, would design it for DOS, this game must run on the crappiest computer" pure wargamers actually lend their hand at improving the game in areas such as graphics and sound.

Bullman

I just kept the sounds as long as the originals because i did not want to run into problems with the way the game uses or calculates the sounds.

Ah, good point. I hope that is not the case. I have a feeling that it won't matter too much though. it is probably better to have shorter more distinctive sounds than the warbled mess you get with the stock. The longer the sound bytes the more cacophony, the less differentiation and ability to pick the start and end of what really are meant to be sound cues.

Wiggum

Are there any other sounds you think are too long ?

About Wargames:
I mean, Command Ops is most likely the best operational Wargame available to the public but it could be some much better with a more polished UI, a nice menu and better sounds and stuff. I could sell huge numbers on Steam.

Bazza42

Hi !

Because the in-game sounds (shots, explosions) are still very very bad i decided to create a mod for a more realistic soundscape with some good old *BANG*...
I did not use or edit any of the old sounds. I created and mixed all sound files from scratch using a audio editing software and different sound files from waclaw's "Combat Mission" Sound Mod.

Wiggum's CO2 Sound Mod v1.4 (Final):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/arvdby4u38li2ko/CO2_Sound_Mod_v1.4.zip?dl=0

Installation:
Copy to and override ...\Sounds\InGame (remember to make a backup !)

Credit:
Original Sounds by waclaw
http://community.battlefront.com/topic/118858-hqs-20-cmbncmrtcmfi/

Very much liked the earlier releases but can't download version 1.4 - Get 403 error.

Is this just me?