Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Wiggum's CO2 Sound Mod

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
I am more than happy to consider replacing the sounds. But I am not a sound expert by any stretch. As in all fields of endeavour people tend to focus on what they can do well and get others to handle those they can't do well. But that requires resources and money and the latter is always in short supply for wargame development. You may say its a catch 22 but even wargames that have polished up their sound and their graphics still don't sell well enough to justify the investment. There just isn't the market size for this type of product.

So we end up relying on enthusiasts like Wiggum here to enhance the offering with his great mod. I really do appreciate it. If anyone else would like to chip in and offer up additional sounds for things in the game, then I can help write the code to play them. More than happy to do that.

Daz

Wiggum.
I have never been that bothered about the sounds, but it definitely helps to cue you as to what is happening on the map, and if you can make it sound better that would be awesome.
I have always liked the AT round at night, the one that sounds like a ricochet, from the game so don't change that one ;)

As for the background music, I don't think Panther are going to be able to afford the licence on a tune that is not going to drive me crazy after an hour, so may I suggest my playlist, to those that want a bit of background music.
The Hearts of Iron 3 tunes can be downloaded from Steam for about £5 last time I looked about two years ago!
Battle-Tunes.jpg

Daz

Now you got me in the mood, I have been looking for more tunes.
Found this on ITunes you might find useful for your project.

military-sound-effecte.jpg

Wiggum

What should be doable is a ambient background battle sound like Combat Mission has it, that would already help with the immersion.
@ Daz, the mod is already done and ready for download, have you tried it ?

Daz

Just downloaded it thanks mate :)

The sound I liked from the original was the RPG1.WAV
It always seemed to fire at night, and would cut into the still night air, to warn me that the enemy was on the move again.

Daz

In the original game sound files in the Events folder / Strike
There are 3 files:
Strike.WAV
Strike2.WAV
Strike3.WAV

I always assumed that they represented different outcomes for the airstrikes.

Strike.WAV is a sound like a crashing aircraft, that I assumed meant the airstrike was unsuccessful as it got shot down by friendly AAA.

Strike2.WAV is the sound of a strafing run, which I took to mean the attack went in with 100% accuracy and damage.

Strike3.WAV is the sound of a strafing run, then the destruction of an aircraft to indicate a partially successful ground attack run.

Is this accurate or did I just make it all up years ago, and forgot it was all in my imagination :confused:

Wiggum

Dave would it be possible to include a background sounds file ?
I mean the possibility for the engine to loop a 3min background track or something so we could have ambient combat sounds (distant explosions, shots, ect.) ?

blond_knight

I concede Wiggum, Ive used the 1.3version for a week and it sounds great.

Wiggum

There will be a v1.5 with some small fixes and maybe additional sounds if i finally decide if i buy the commanders pack or not...time is running out with the discount.