World At War 85 Clarification and Corrections v1.1

Clarifications, Corrections, World At War 85, Errata, WaW85,

1. Keith Tracton

Keith Tracton Member
    Staff Member

Hi Alex,

You are correct the wording was off, as you point out it should have been "higher" not "attacker". The specific text of how the Clarification will appear once I get the Clarifications updated will be:

Page 56, 10.2.3: The last two lines of the paragraph in the right-hand column should be ...distance between the higher unit and the blocking hex.

I had it handy because my project for the night is to get a draft to the editor/writer to get all the clarifications out.

Meantime, I hope this helps!

2. Starman

Starman Member

The rules should say LoS is always traced from the higher unit to the lower unit , not the attacking unit. It is implied.

If either of the units is in a hex with a unit height that is one level higher than a blocking hex’s obstacle height, the blocking hex creates a Blind Spot along the LOS, starting immediately behind the blocking hex, and stretching from there for the same number of hexes as the distance between the higher unit and the blocking hex to the lower unit.

If either of the units’ heights is two or more levels higher than the blocking hex’s obstacle height, the Blind Spot behind the intervening terrain is only one hex, tracing LOS from the higher to Lower unit

EDIT posted at the same time as Keith :(

3. Alexandre Leal

Was actually going to reply to Keith stressing out one point you just made, that it should be noted, explicitly, that LoS should ALWAYS be traced from higher unit to lower unit, AND the Blind Spot ALWAYS stretches from the Blocking hex towards the lower unit.

But this does not "fix", in my opinion, the rule where either unit´s height is two or more levels higher than the blocking hex´s obstacle height. As it is, in this simplified form, it can create truly illogical cases. For instance, in a scenario with 3 maps it can actually mean that a unit at height 0, two hexes from a wood hex, right at the beginning of a edge of the map will be able to see a unit at height 3 on the other side of the map, on the opposite edge because it ever only creates 1 hex Blind Spot, no matter the distance from the higher unit to the blocking hex. I know it's a simplification but since you implemented a somewhat objective formula to establish a Blind Spot based on the number of Hexes from the higher unit to the blocking hex, I don't see the need to simplify in this case, especially since all it took was to subtract an hex from the Blind Spot total (to the minimum of 1 Hex Blind Spot) per 1height differential above 2 (inclusive).

4. Starman

Starman Member

If height equaled distance then at 1 level difference we would have distance + height difference and at 2 levels we would have distance x height difference.

However in WaW85 height levels are a 10th to a 6th of distance to obstacle in hexes.

At 3 maps 9000 metres a 10-25m obstacle at 400 metres with an elevation of 60-75 metres, 35-50 metres difference is not going to have the impact you think. Mathematically the blind hexes approximately match those in the game based on multi levels being at the higher end e.g. 3 levels is 65-75 metres high.

I calculated it to double check , try it with graph paper if you don't have the geometry, if all at max height 75m , 50m diff, then maybe an extra blind hex every 750 meteres (5 hexes) .

Most units effective range is less 2000 metres and even on board Artillery rarely greater than 3000 metres.

#24 Starman, Feb 28, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  5. Alexandre Leal

A quick draw indicated that, using the ground scale of 150m/hex and the upper height limit of 25m per height level, that a unit 15 hexes from a wood hex at Level 3, would create (at least) a 2 hex blind spot, meaning it should only have a LoS to a unit at 0 level height on the 3 hex from the wood hex, ergo, a ground unit needed to be 3 hexes away from the woods to be able to have LoS to a unit at level 3 height 15 hexes behind the wood hex. My graphs could be wrong (as it was a very quick effort, but...

Yeah, 15 hex range is a long range BUT it can be used, for instance to spot for Artillery.

In any case it's only a suggestion.

6. Keith Tracton

Keith Tracton Member
    Staff Member

LOL no worries! All reiteration help appreciated! :)

7. Alexandre Leal

Rule 11.0 Move & Fire

Third Paragraph pertains to Units with Black AP/HE FP Dice, with no mention of ground units with Green or Blue AP or HE in that paragraph ar any of the following, BUT the table bellow puts units with Black, Green or Blue in the exact same situation.

Being that the case the Third paragraph should read something like "Units with Black, Blue or Green Ap/HE FP dice (...)" to avoid any doubts or confusion.