Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

WWII Company OOB's & Support Weapons

HariSeldon

When constructing a standard 1944 German grenadier company, should every squad carry a light machine gun?

Hopefully this helps some. As you do some research, I think you will find that more elite German units, such as SS and some Grenadier units would have an additional MG34 or MG42 in their TO&E. Overall, this is what most German units would look like...before battle.
I think you will also find that the typical German squad would work their maneuver around their squad's LMG.
Your next question may be "Why don't all the German squads in Lock N' Load have an LMG assigned to them?". That's a better question for the scenario designers, but I am sure it's based on a number of factors, to include scenario balance as well as other realistic factors such as availability in a combat environment, malfunctioning / destroyed, lack of ammo, and casualties factors. But again, that's for Jeff and his crew to answer, and I don't want to speak for them, other than my humble opinions.
Good luck, and hopefully this helps you.

German Rifle Company (1944-45)

Headquarters

3 Rifle Platoons

Headquarters
1 x 7.92mm LMG
1 x G98 Rifle (Assistant LMG Gunner)

3 Rifle Squads
2 x 9mm SMG
1 x 7.92mm LMG
1 x G98 Rifle (Assistant LMG Gunner)
6 x G98 Rifle

Heavy Weapons Platoon

2 HMG Sections
1 x 7.92mm HMG

HariSeldon

Thank you. I wonder if the scenario designers use the ASL design for effect approach. Otherwise, almost every squad should be carrying a LMG.

Jeff Lewis

Balance is key in LnL scenario design. It usually works out that 1 MG Support Weapon per platoon. But there's no set rule of thumb. Every scenario is unique, and needs to work on its own terms; and there's certainly a big difference b/tw equipping every Squad with an MG42 and every Squad with a BAR or a Bren.

HariSeldon

Jeff,
LnL is a great game. It is in fact, my favorite war game series. Where else can I put a platoon of Abrams tanks from HoG against king tigers! I know there have been many conversations regarding game vs simulation. LnL falls into the game genre. Although I know that most German ww2 late war 1st line squads contained at least one MG-34, that weapon cannot be included for each squad for fear of unbalancing the scenario. I know and accept this. It is still a great game!