Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Establishment Editor Question

Grognerd

So I've recently got some additional sources and I am reviewing my East Front Establishments, item by item.
I come up with a couple of clarification questions.

On a Bn HQ unit in the General tab there are fields for Move Class and Force Size. I listed the move class as foot and the Force size as company.
This unit was copied (as with most) then modified. Would not the move class be motorized since it's a bunch of personnel with motorization? Most of the existing game treats these as foot even though there are trucks kublewagons etc. also listed in the unit.
Also, most of the existing game shows Bn HQ's as battalion sized units, but in actuality they are company sized. I've changed these to company, is there a reason why they need to be battalion size?

So I've recently got some additional sources and I am reviewing my East Front Establishments, item by item.
I come up with a couple of clarification questions.

On a Bn HQ unit in the General tab there are fields for Move Class and Force Size. I listed the move class as foot and the Force size as company.
This unit was copied (as with most) then modified. Would not the move class be motorized since it's a bunch of personnel with motorization? Most of the existing game treats these as foot even though there are trucks kublewagons etc. also listed in the unit.
Also, most of the existing game shows Bn HQ's as battalion sized units, but in actuality they are company sized. I've changed these to company, is there a reason why they need to be battalion size?
First off, you're going to run into trouble with the force size designation. The Estab interprets the Force Size as the commansd echelon, so when a battalion command with a force size of company is placed in command of other companies, you'll get an error message that a smaller unit can't issue orders to a unit above it in the echelon.

As best I could determine the force size doesn't reflect the number of personnel, but the span of command level.

The rule applied to moveclass revolves around the relative number of personnel the available transport can accommodate. If 50-percent or more of the unit's personnel can ride on transport, the class is motorized.

The ambiguity may revolve around how the unit fights in certain terrain. Units which fight in wooded or rough terrain that excludes motor transport from traversing it were constructed as "foot" so they can move and fight as they did in the particular battle modeled in the scenario.

It.s an outgrowth of the game modeling that can't show how a mounted unit can dismount from its transport to carry on the battle and reboard it after the battle is completed.

It was a particular bugaboo in earlier efforts to model the sweeping maneuvers to dismounted combat that took place more frequently on the eastern plains.

You might look at the African Desert scenarios to see how they accomplished movement to combat and combat resolution(s) in their Estabs and scenarios.

Grognerd

OK, Understand your answer. Thanks very much for the quick response.
I'll tell you Jim creating Establishments, drawing the maps, creating the scenario and test playing takes a lot of time! You already know this and I'm getting to know it very well - Ha!