Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Trial of Strength Map Sample #1

Here's a sneak peak at our first sample map art. It's still a work in progress. Eg. we'll be replacing the red dot with a red star for Moscow. So what do you think of the style?

Trial of Strength Map Sample #1
    • Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor
      Here's a sneak peak at our first sample map art. It's still a work in progress. Eg. we'll be replacing the red dot with a red star for Moscow. So what do you think of the style?
    • Daz
      To be brutally honest, it looks kind of basic :(
    • David Heath
      Well remember it is a strategic game and this is a first pass. What do you think would make the map look better.
    • Daz
      I guess I have gotten used to larger scale maps playing Command Ops regularly where you can fit more detail of the terrain in, so maybe I am being a bit unkind.

I think the look could be improved with an urban terrain tile, and I'm not so keen on the look of the roads either.
      The forested areas are a nice texture though.

I think its the roads and the blobs for the towns, that could do with a bit of work.
      I would replace the town, and city blobs, with urban textures, and make the roads look more rugged.
    • Daz
    • David Heath
      I love the city graphics but I think the roads and rivers need to be a lot more straight. What does everyone else think.
    • Daz
      Rivers are very twisty by nature, so I think they look good, but then I'm biased lol
      Maybe I went a bit over the top with the roads though?
      I did the image quite quick for me, so not a lot of care went into it.
      Most of the time was spent erasing the existing artwork.
      If I get time before I go away on holiday this weekend ill straighten them out a bit.
    • luigi
      I personally prefer the look of the first sample. I like that it is simple and not cluttered. I also like the gray and straight roads. I think they are easier to distinguish.
    • Sean Druelinger
      I like the terrain art -- such as the trees.. But maybe instead of dots for the cities they could look like cities or maybe stars if they are objectives.
      Thanks
      Sean
    • Eddie Carlson
      I like the map, but I do agree with Daz. The map you are showing is lacking in personality. When playing a wargame, if it is too clean, then you begin to lose the attachment to the people that are doing the fighting. With roads that look like roads and rivers that look like rivers, the map looks more alive and personable. Otherwise, it feels like i'm playing on an excel spreadsheet. Cities instead of stars is also a nice touch. I can understand leaving the open spaces clean, makes it easier to see things, but for the things we need to see like cities, roads and rivers, please give them some life. I want to feel immersed in the world.
    • wargamer1963
      Think the map looks great. Clean, easy to read and evocative of the era. Any timeline on when this game will go to press?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Trial of Strength 2nd Edition
    Uploaded By:
    Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor
    Date:
    Nov 13, 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count: