Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Day of Heroes - where are skills and the Pakistani MG-3?

joshcoady

Just got my shipment of all things Day of Heroes and a couple of questions have cropped up as I looked through the materials. I'm new to the system, so not exactly sure what to expect.

How does hero generation work? The module rules under "13.2 Allied Forces" states that "American Rangers generate Heroes normally" and this is reiterated on the rules reference player aid. So looking in the core modern rules under "11.2 Heroes" it has a paragraph on random hero generation:
There is a chance that a Hero is created
whenever a 1 is rolled on a Squad or
Half-squad’s Damage Check. Roll 1d6
again. If the number is even, a Hero has
been created. Randomly pick a Hero
and a Skill counter (12.0) from the
cup—and the Skill must be usable by the
Hero; if not, pick again. Newly created
Heroes assume the activation status of
the unit that spawned them.​

Section "12.0 Skills" also mentions a "Skill Player Aid".

I cant find any counters or player aids for skills. Am I missing something?

My other question is regarding the scenario "Ambush!" which seems to revolve around a Pakistani MG-3, but I cannot locate an MG-3 counter. I scan counter sheets before I punch them in case stuff gets lost, so I know what it originally came with, and I'm not seeing an MG-3 on there, front or back. Is there a counter for the MG-3 or am I supposed to substitute? What are the stats? etc

Ralph Ferrari

Staff member
There are no Skills used in Day of Heroes.

And a quote from Jeff Lewis on a BoardGameGeek thread regarding the MG-3:

"Yes, we did miss the Pakistani M3. Apologies. It's a 2-10 MG so an M-60 can be used instead."

joshcoady

ok, thanks. Dont know why I didnt check bgg -- I'm on there more than here :)

I did find in the vassal mod in the images dir an MG-3.png I could print and sticker that onto the back of the crash counter that currently has an M60 ... not sure if I'll go through that effort for just one scenario, but at least the option is there.

One other thing I noticed -- there are 2 each of the 4 Somali leaders -- are those just extras?

Finally, and this is slightly OT, but I noticed the 2 heroes are Hicks and Hudson ... from the movie Aliens? ;)

Tom Manning

Just wondering if anyone has played a session using the Solo expansion...and if yes....the ensuing results,if you please.
Thanks

Jeff Lewis

No Skills in DoH. I believe that's mentioned in the Mod rules somewhere.

Yes, we missed the MG-3. It's a 2-10 MG, so a M-60 works. I think Dave may put up a download for one.

Extra Somali Leaders are doubles. Not supposed to be something else.

Don't know about the Heroes' names.

Nick DelCorpo

there are several leaders across multiple games which all have the same name and share a similar look and face and most likely are modeled on a person that has a link to the system. One example is Sgt Guttermuth who appears as a Brit, and a Dutchmen, One in Heroes of North Africa and one in In Defeat, Defiant. Another example is "Terhune" which I think has been featured in at least three different games, with three different nationalities. (Dutch Leader, American Hero, British Leader)I'm not a huge proponent of having fans names and faces on a counters, ( I would rather see actual name of heroes or famous vehicles). And for me when they use an name that does not fit whatsoever in the nationality it represents that kind of ruins it for me. But LnL is more of a game then it is a hard core simulation so these little quirks (which some love and I can appreciate!) of course, are to be embraced. And I was also disappointed to see the same leaders twice. Just wasted counters which could have been a Pakistani machine gun or whatever else, even I if they would have at least changed the names and kept the same pictures that would have been more usable, only two reasons for it, either A) the counter sheets were already printed or B, just didn't feel it was worth bothering with, either way, still a great game with great replay value.

Last edited:

David Heath

Administrator
Staff member
Website
lnlpublishing.com
Hi, Nick,

One of the main reason that the names appear in different games is the past owner charged gamers to put their name and/or images on counters in some games. Some gamers paid to be in more than one game as well. I didn't feel it was fair to those who paid to change or remove them. The records from the old owner on this are horrible so someone may have been missed. This is one of the reasons the new games going forward we will select names and images from our fan base for free.

As for the DoH counters, the idea was to cut the sheet in two, but in the end that would have cost more than to simply print extra sheets and we decided to do that. It's not the best idea but we didn't want to delay the games anymore. So there are some double counters on one sheet from DoH.

David