Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

September Glory AAR

DirkGaming

I started playing "September Glory," a scenario in the Steam Workshop by Sharp End Gaming, depicting a fictional meeting engagement between a 1943-1944 Soviet Tank Corps and the 14th Panzer Division for control of the Dzerzhinsky Tractor Works.

I will play the role of GenMaj Martin Unrein, commanding the 14th Panzer Division. The battle starts on D1 at H0600 and will last till D4 H0600. Victory points will be received for destroying the enemy (up to 29 VP), while the various objectives with their VP are depicted in red on the map below.

My initial orders are as follows:

• The I/36 Pz Bn with its 8 Panthers and 42 PzKfw IV Ausf J will attack towards Hill 35.
  • The Aufkl Abt will attack Hill 97 following the road to the east of the woods covering it.
  • The two battalions of the 103rd PzGr Regt will attack Hill 85, with the I/103 Bn planning to move on towards Hill 93.
  • I/394 PzGr Bn will support the attack on Hill 93 by taking control of the woods east of the hill.
  • II/394 PzGr Bn will attack towards Spartanovka.
  • As its guns do not reach far enough to support the rest of the division, the 4th Art Regt is ordered to relocate to Hill 92.
It should be noted that the second panzer battalion (II/36 Pz Bn) is scheduled to arrive near Orlovka at H1200 on the first day as well.

Start.jpg

DirkGaming

At H1200 of D1, the situation is as follows. While both the I/36 Pz Bn and Aufkl. Bn have reached their objectives (Hill 35, resp. Hill 97) and taken control of these on my western flank, the situation in the center seems more worrying…. Although II/103 PzGr Bn was able to take its objective of Hill 85, destroying at least 3 Soviet units on the way, a Soviet counterattack seems to be heading their way… Moreover, its sister battalion (I/103 PzGr Bn) is late in deploying its own attack towards Hill 93. Although they should have started their attack at the same time, some Soviet artillery fire forced them to get into cover, delaying their advance… Similarly, the II/394 PzGr Bn was delayed in starting its advance towards Spartanovka. The I/394 PzGr Bn on the other hand moved into the woods east of Hill 93.

Finally, the Artillery Regiment completed its redeployment to Hill 92, and is now ready to support the division in its advance.D1 H1200.jpg

DirkGaming

At the end of Day 1 -- it is now H2200 -- the situation is as follows. The Soviet counterattack in the center was stopped with the recently arrived II/36 Pz Bn, joining the II/103 PzGr Bn on Hill 85. As I see an opportunity to hit the Soviet counterattacking force in its left flank, I ordered I/36 Pz Bn further east. To take over its position on Hill 35, I ordered the 2nd Coy of the Aufkl. Bn to move south, while the rest of the Aufkl. Bn holds the position at Hill 97. East of Hill 93, the I and II/394 PzGr Bn were joined with the I/103 PzGr Bn. My plan for tomorrow will be to strike southward along the main road, to meet the I/36 Pz Bn in the hope to trap the Soviet forces involved in the counterattack.D1 H2200.jpg

DirkGaming

In the morning of Day 2, I start my offensive to try to trap the Soviet forces in the Orlovka valley outside the city. Although the offensive is progressing well, I notice around H1400 that the Soviets are threatening my western flank, and that they seem to launch a counterattack towards Hill 92, only occupied by my Artillery Regt. As a reaction, I order the II/103 PzGr Bn to move to Hill 92 to stop any Soviet thrust, while the HQ of the 394th PzGr Regt with its organic support will take over Hill 85.

Meanwhile I and II/394 PzGr Bn will consolidate their position in the woods east of Hill 93, to prepare an attack towards Spartanovka. The tanks of the I and II/36 Pz Bn are to seal off the pocket and destroy the enemy trapped inside it.D2 H1400.jpg

DirkGaming

At the end of Day 2, it is clear that the Soviets trapped in the pocket took a heavy beating…. However, continuous Soviet artillery fire has also taken a toll on my units, destroying a couple of units of the 394th PzGr Regt… The attack towards Spartanovka was launched by the I/394 PzGr Bn, but fierce resistance prevented them from capturing the victory location. I also moved my artillery regiment closer to the front; they are now located on Hill 85, allowing them to support further advances in the southern direction. In the west a defensive perimeter was set up by II/103 PzGr Bn, but the Soviet counterattack was able to recapture Hill 32, where the 2nd Coy of the Aufkl. Bn was destroyed trying to hold the hill. Unfortunately, the rest of the Aufkl. Bn was unable to launch a counterattack to help them out; despite my orders to do so, the battalion commander claimed that his unit was too fatigued to get the attack ongoing….D2 H2200.jpg

DirkGaming

During the night a Soviet attack from Hill 35 towards the position of the Aufkl. Bn on Hill 97 is bringing serious problems to the Aufkl. Bn to hold its position. Therefore, I ordered the I/36 Pz Bn to attack these Soviets in their right flank, to relieve some of the pressure on the Aufkl. Bn.

I also ordered the Art. Regt to move even closer to the front, as I want to launch a final assault on the Tractor Factory North. This attack is scheduled to start at H0700 and will use I/103 PzGr Bn, I/394 PzGr Bn and II/36 Pz Bn in an effort to capture the victory location during the last day of the scenario…

Here is a map of the situation on Day 3 at H0600:D3 H0600.jpg

DirkGaming

During the last day and night, heavy fighting is seen around the Tractor Factory in the north, as well as on Hill 97. Control of both objectives switching various times from one to the other side… At a certain stage I also threw in II/103 PzGr Bn to help out at Hill 97. Casualties are very high on both sides... a last Soviet counterattack during the night is able to deny me finally control of the northern part of the Tractor Factory, and the battle ends in a draw:End map.jpgResult.jpg