Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Victory Conditions: Control of a Building

Ty Snouffer

The victory conditions for River of Perfume (Heroes of the Nam) refer to:

" . . . must control (22.1) five Buildings . . ."

22.1 really speaks to control of hexes not buildings. How does one control a Building?

: Control (as defined by 22.1) of all the hexes, upper levels included, in the building
: Control of a majority of hexes of the building
: Control of just the hexes the enemy starts off controlling or earns control of during game play
: Something else?

This scenario doesn't state that one side or the other controls any of the buildings at the beginning.

thx

Ty Snouffer

Thanks. Is there rule or other scenario or something to reference that supports that view?

Barthheart

Staff member
If it's different than that it's usually spelled out in the victory conditions of the scenario. I'm at work so don't have access to my scenario pile.

Ty Snouffer

Thanks for the response. What I am getting at is how would one know what the definition of control of a multi-hex, multi-storey building is in the first place? Control of a single hex is clear and defined in the rules. I don't doubt your definition but I'd like to be able to point to something that supports that. Especially in this case where the buildings don't start controlled by either side.

Barthheart

Staff member
Not sure what you mean? What is the difference of "control the building" when the building is 1 hex or a 3 hex multi-story?

To me it's just clear that to control any building you need to control all the hexes of that building. The upper level of multi-story buildings is already defined as a separate hex.

I know there is at least one scenario that states you need to control the majority of the hexes of each building but I can't remember which module it's in.

If the scenario doesn't state who starts in control of the victory conditions building then no one does by default.

Ty Snouffer

Like my OP suggests, I mean it is open to interpretation. Or more importantly, one can't look at the rules and know that. At least to a new player like me who hasn't come accross building control before.

Let's take multi-storey out of and and look at this example:
image.png

Two-hex building. The US controls one hex. The enemy doesn't control any of the building hexes. No one started with control of this building. Does the US control the building? You seems to say "no" they have to control both hexes. I'm saying "fine, but how would I know, rule-wise, it isn't one of the other possibilities?" why not, for instance, "I control a hex, no one else does, I control the building."

That is the difference between one hex and multi hex.

I guess 22.1 does reference "number of hexes" and "different levels." I still think of that as individual hexes though not a multi-hex building.

Don't get me wrong, I think you are correct. :)

Barthheart

Staff member
I guess I just can't see it your way. All I get is that if I need to control a building, be a single hex or multiple hexes, I would need to control the whole building, ie all the hexes.

Let's take a odd example that I'm sure doesn't exist but just for fun.
Let's say a scenario special rule gives some single hex building on the map an upper level. And then the victory conditions say you need to control the building to win. Would you still argue that there's a rules loophole that let you control only the ground floor for the win?

I know there are some scenarios that have victory conditions like "control one hex of XXX building" or " be the last player to pass through any hex of buildings YYYYY".

Ty Snouffer

To be clear I'm not arguing one way or the other on the interpretation. They way the rules speak to me it just isn't clear. Fine if it is for others.

In the example you gave, I'm open to the possibility that controlling the top or bottom level would be enough for control, provided the enemy doesn't control the other hex. I just don't know. Like my screenshot in my prior post.

I settled it with my coming opponent who has more experience than me though.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Hi Ty!

Control of a building at scenario start is usually considered to belong to the side which has setup (or could have setup) in said building. If both side have setup (or could have), then it would be contested.

Technically speaking, 22.1 seems to imply that wrestling control of a building would requires you to control ALL hexes of said building, even those that are empty but that you never went through with your troops. Now, if you were to play against me and managed to clear a building from all my troops, I would considers it as being controlled by your side, even though you did not "enter" all hexes of said building.

To me, controlling a building is a matter of being the sole occupant (or last occupant) of said building, just as controlling a hex is a matter of being the sole occupant (or last occupant) of said hex.