Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Mortar Indirect Fire

Andrew Kurtz

How is Indirect Mortar Fire supposed to work? I cannot get the mortar to fire in Overlord Begins. I have assembled to Mortar but see no options for indirect fire with leaders.

Andrew Kurtz

Yes, just retried. I have a leader adjacent to an enemy. Unshaken, has not been used this impulse. Mortar shows assembled. Mortar in clear hex and in range (between 2-9 hexes). I also tried with a leader 3 hexes away (visibility is 3 per scenario rules). In both cases, the enemy units were spotted.

What should I see? Should I be able to pick the leader and see an option to call for an indirect mortar strike?

Tom Proudfoot

Digital Designer
For mortar support weapons, if I recall correctly, you just use the squad with the weapon to fire as though it was a direct shot. Then if it actually has to be an indirect shot, it marks an appropriate spotter with the Ops Complete marker (doesn't have to be a leader, does have to be adjacent to the unit with the weapon, see 1.6.5).

Andrew Kurtz

I will retry by picking the mortar squad - but so far that has not seemed to work either. I get "No LOS" I believe (even with a leader with an LOS).

Barthheart

Staff member
Can you post some pictures of what you are seeing? It might help us understand the problem.

Also, hit the F3 button in game at the point you are having trouble and submit a bug report. That way Tom can look at the code and make sure everything is working correctly.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Mortar SW can only be fired indirectly if a friendly unit adjacent to said mortar SW has LOS to the target. Only Squads, Half-Squads, Crews, Advisors, Leaders, Heroes, and Scouts not yet marked with a Moved, Fired, Ops Complete, Assault Move, Low Crawl, Stealth, Hit & Run (H&R) or
Melee marker can direct the Mortar’s fire. See 1.6.5 in the Rules.

Not to be confused with Mortar WT (18.1), which requires a Leader/Scout/Advisor to be fired indirectly.

In your case, your mortar SW does not have LOS (outside of visibility range) and no adjacent friendly units able to "direct" the indirect fire.

Andrew Kurtz

OK - so that information gets me closer. See below. The mortar is in the northern most hex. I have a leader adjacent. They have not yet been activated. The Germans have been spotted and are in LOS and visibility (night - 3 hexes).

I see no method of firing the mortar. The leader shows no option. The mortar shows no option. I ever tried activating adjacent hex with no luck. Given the situation below, how should I be able to first the Mortar SW indirectly?

Capture.JPG

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
My guess is that the computer does not allow you to fire the mortar because it is not in visibility range (it should not mattered, since an adjacent friendly unit is in visibility range). As Tom explained, you would normally simply fired the mortar SW-toting squad without LOS and it would mark an adjacent unit that have LOS to it but, in this case, it consider it cannot be fired. This is a bug specific to this night situation I think and I bet it would worked if it was day.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Since this is a bug, should he send in the game file at the current turn to LnL support so they can look at it? If so, what is the email address?
You simply have to press F3 in game. This will open a window where you can type your comments and this will be sent , along the game file, to the dev.