Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Not One Step Back

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
I'm trying to figure out how many printings were done of this product, and what was their specifics regarding counters:

IIRC, the first printing included two T-34 with 9/7/6 as to-hit numbers, instead of the usual 8/6/5

I know for sure that there was another printing with the smallest countersheet reverse punched i.e. with the rounded sides of the counters to their back. This one also included the two "special" T-34.

If I'm not mistaken, a third printing was done, which "converted" all the 1-3-4-5/4 into 1-3-4-4-/4. I dont't know if this one also included the two "special" T-34.

Anybody can help me out there? Thanks in advance!

Rydo

I'm trying to figure out how many printings were done of this product, and what was their specifics regarding counters:

IIRC, the first printing included two T-34 with 9/7/6 as to-hit numbers, instead of the usual 8/6/5

I know for sure that there was another printing with the smallest countersheet reverse punched i.e. with the rounded sides of the counters to their back. This one also included the two "special" T-34.

If I'm not mistaken, a third printing was done, which "converted" all the 1-3-4-5/4 into 1-3-4-4-/4. I dont't know if this one also included the two "special" T-34.

Anybody can help me out there? Thanks in advance!
I'm afraid but it seems like you've embarked yourself into an impossible mission.

I think i got an idea. I see what i can do!

I'll rep back if i find something. If not...well at least i tried.

Rydo

I'm back from the mission wich was to go to BGG and see how much of NOSB were on the market. Apparently they were all purchased and only 3 are remaining but the newest is from 7 months ago and its the first printing.

It looks like tracking those printings will be more hard.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Thanks for your help Rydo!

Yes, it might be difficult. I'm trying to figure out what went on many years ago, without having the actual products in my hands.

I'm not trying to buy any of these, just want to correctly credit my sources in my upcoming LNL(T) counters manifest. I used the scans avalaible on BGG but they are only from one printing (or maybe even worse, a combination).

We'll see. I'm hoping someone with a better memory than me will shine some light on this.

Last edited:

Rydo

Now, i don't know how things works or worked into Ln'L but there may be someone who was involved into this and that could give us a more vivid point of view.

I mean, let's say "designer X" made the countersheet, he should be also the one who made the digital file of that so he could be the only source to overcome this.

Another route should be David Heat himself as he should know something too. For example an year ago me and Mr.Heat were talking about a Top Secrect projcet and i asked him about Heroes of the Faith ( cancelled or on hold ) and he told me the files he received were very rough but he received them so maybe when he got Ln'L he also received all the files that should be lying somewhere in a lone pc folder...

I'll contact the Ln'L artist David Julien as we are in touch onto facebook. I'll rep back after he answer me something.

The mission carry on.

Rydo

Additional informations : BGG page for NOSB indicates that also a man named Dale Holstorm was the designer so maybe he know something if you manage to contact him somehow.

Main artists were : Master Julien, Mr. Eskubi and Mark von Martial.

They are know artists in the wargaming world so contact the other two ( Eskubi and Von Martial ) shouldn't be hard. I'll try Mr. Julien.

Rydo, over.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
I've already sent an email to David Julien; he's my best option. I don't think David Heath would know anything about this, since this was before he take LNL over. Aas for M. Walker, the general owner, he did not pay attention to this small details but he might have the files, as you pointed out. Will try to get in touch with him.

Norm

Stéphane, on visiting the forums at BGG for NosB, the posting history there suggests that we are now on the third edition.

1st edition looks like it was available in July 2007, followed by a second edition in 2009.

There is talk there that the first edition had a problem with one of the countersheets being die cut from the wrong side and that there were two different colour shades for the soviets.

From memory, there was something wrong with the infantry values and I am pretty sure that on the BGG files, there were counter that you could download and print out. Anyway, the BGG files do have some errata counters, but I am not sure that they are the ones that you refer to.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Thank you Norm! Great idea to use the posting history on BGG

I got some more infos from David Julien and the picture is starting to get clearer.

1st edition (NOSB1) indeed had one small countersheet die cut from the wrong side, which included two T-34 with 9/7/6 as to-hit numbers (instead of the usual 8/6/5) and was of a different colour shade than the other countersheet. Also, the German OPEL truck had a MF of 12R on its front side, instead of 12W, with no shaken side. The German Sd 222 had a MF of 20O on its front side, instead of 20W

2nd edition (NOSB2) corrected all these problems but a new one was introduced, the conversion of all (8) 1-3-4-5/4 Line troops (not Guards) into additionnal 1-3-4-4/4 line troops, which numbered 22 from now on. I don't know if this was corrected in subsequent editions (NOSB3+), if there was any, but it was maintained as is in HOTMx.

This does bring the additional question: how many (and which) scenarios included 1-3-4-5/4 Line troops in their OOB? I know of Enter the Guards), which was apparently not corrected until HOTM3. Also Road to Astrachan in BPA1 and LNLTC3 ( I don't own BPA2 so can't check this one for sure).

Anybody still in possession of NOSBx who would be willing to check the Russian OOB in each scenario, to see if they requires 1-3-4-5/4 Line troops? This way, I could update my LNL(T) Scenarios Errata and clarifications document.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Guys, you can stop looking through your NOSB copies, I've got all the infos I was looking for. Thank for your help!

Stéphane

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
And what is the final report on all of this story?

1st edition (NOSB1) had one half-countersheet die cut from the wrong side (the other half-coutnersheet was for SAB1), which included two T-34 with 9/7/6 as to-hit numbers (instead of the usual 8/6/5) and was of a different colour shade than the full page countersheet. Also, the German OPEL truck had a MF of 12R on its front side, instead of 12W, with no shaken side. The German Sd 222 had a MF of 20O on its front side, instead of 20W.

2nd edition (NOSB2) corrected all these problems but a new one was introduced, the conversion of all (8) 1-3-4-5/4 Line troops (not Guards) into additionnal 1-3-4-4/4 line troops, which numbered 22 from now on.

Other editions, if there was any, were identical to NOSB2.

Only 2 scenarios were affected by the 1-3-4-5-4 conversion; Enter the Guards and The Road to Astrachan. in both case, it is suggested to replce them by 1-3-4-4-4

Nick DelCorpo

i had two different editions, one had three cardboard maps(one-sided) the other had hard mounted maps. The illustrations for some of the details like the train track were different as well. The counters I had for both had the 1st ed printing errors. Happy hunting

Last edited:

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Aren't you talking about Dark July? Beause I can't remember any train track in Not One Step Back maps

Nick DelCorpo

Aren't you talking about Dark July? Beause I can't remember any train track in Not One Step Back maps
You are right about the train track, it was from Dark July. But the maps are right, there were three separate long, cardstock maps with separate scenario cards, the other had three mounted maps like in Heroes of the blitzkrieg and a scenario book with a glossy, color cover.

Nick DelCorpo

You are right about the train track, it was from Dark July. But the maps are right, there were three separate long, cardstock maps with separate scenario cards, the other had three mounted maps like in Heroes of the blitzkrieg and a scenario book with a glossy, color cover. I was selling a copy on BGG with those cardstock maps (with measurements in the description) It was under the handle "nicky_longbranch"