Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

A Couple of Thoughts

JohnPilot

After playing through the examples of play and rolling some of my own to try to get the hang of things, two things have struck me:

1. Satchel charges in Melee seem to be "illogical". Would you really throw a satchel charge in the middle of a hand-to-hand combat situation? I understand not everything can be taken literally, but this seems like something you would never see. MGs and flamethrowers I can see as having a lot of control over who is getting the angry end, but a satchel charge is pretty much a blow up the whole hex thing.

2. Placing the SW under the owning unit keeps getting me. If a stack of units has one with a SW and it drops it, the SW is under all of them. I get confused sometimes as to whether it was dropped or the guy at the bottom of the stack is possessing it. Would not having it placed on top of the owning unit make more sense?

John

Barthheart

Staff member
1. Melee takes place in a single hex. Each hex is about 50 m across. That's a pretty big space. If I see angry mob coming for my head, I'm throwing a satchel charge at them and ducking. :)

2. Then carry the SW's on top of your counters. Whatever works best for is the fun way to do things. Just make sure your opponent knows what yer up to .

Re: Melees I think of them more as 'close range fighting' rather than just than fisticuffs and bayonetting (both of which can of course occur in 'close range fighting') so have no problems with using a satchel charge in them.

I'm like you I like owned SWs on top of the units so our group just do it (might be a hangover from Squad Leader) just make sure everyone is clear on it.

:)

Jeff Lewis

I second what Vance wrote RE Satchel Charges and SWs. On the big X-maps you can even put them next to the possessing unit if there aren't too many counters in a hex. Whatever works for you.