Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Digging in and being entrenched. A request for a third level of prepared positions.

Iconoclast

Hey Community,

Me again.

I was looking through the Manual when I found the description of prepared positions on p. 27 (printer-friendly version). It states that Inf for example takes about 2 hrs to dig-in and about 2 days to be entrenched. Reading FM 05-103 (Survivability), and speaking from personal experience, I find it rather odd that this implies, there would be no increasment in position quality over the duration of about nearly 2 days.

I am not saying there should be a excrutiating detail in position building, but maybe a step in between "dug-in" and "entrenched"? I think that sounds fair to me :) According to FM 5 - 103 it takes about 11 man hours to construct a two-soldiers fighting position w/ OHP. 11 hrs sounds like a good time for an increasment in protection.

For those who would like to have a look into it too:

http://www.enlistment.us/field-manuals/fm-5-103-survivability.shtml

Regards,

A

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Yeh but that 11 hours is straight time, something soldiers rarely get because other duties like going out on patrol, fetching supplies etc intervene. Entrenched does represent a position with OHP. Sure we could minutely model this but I don't think it's worth doing so at the current operational level we are trying to model. What do others think?

Iconoclast

Sure we could minutely model this but

As I said, I don't want this to become a "trench simulation" either. And I am also very aware of the fact that Soldiers do (usually) not dig positions for hours straight. I also know that the games "entrenched" state does include positions w/ OHP. The point is, that the game currently implies that positions leapjump on day two from "my small scrapehole", to "Super-amazing-trenchsystem-with-shelters-OHP-and-kilometers-of-barbedwire"

I wasn't insisting on the 11 hrs mark, that was just a number to throw in ;)

Regards,

A

john connor

For me, I'm not bothered. Haven't noticed any issue. Have no idea what OHP is. (Overhead projector? Lol. Luxury trenches!). I guess it's 'overhead protection?'

But, any increase in realism is great, of course, when there's time and money for it. But I would rather you spent your valuable time at the moment on mounted ops, sequential orders, EF pack and all the other headline improvements, if there has to be a choice. After all, on top of all that there will soon be a harvest of minor bug reports etc about the new UI etc......
Peter