East Front Guess

Discussion in 'Command Ops Series' started by ioncore, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Kurt

Kurt Member

protecting their monopoly , very familiar .

2. Kurt

Kurt Member

Excellent research Gunnar ( as always ) , it's a shame you don't create scenario's yourself , I guess it's simply about availability of spare time . It does take a considerable amount of time to create a scenario from scratch .

3. ghibli

ghibli Member

In this book (from the 80s) "Inside the Soviet Army" by Viktor Suvorov the author, a soviet officer who defected, made some statements about the question of classified documents with maps (in chapter "Why does a soldier need to read a map?" p. 274). It is a nice reading, even though sometimes it should be taken with a grain of salt..

4. GoodGuy

GoodGuy Member

Yes. If I could place some interns to work the SE and the MM for me and implement my ideas, there'd be a good number of scenarios. :p

5. GoodGuy

GoodGuy Member

So what's the bottom line of these statements?

6. ghibli

ghibli Member

In the origin they were kept secret to avoid being stolen by the enemy, which could have used them to plan military operations and direct artillery fire. During the cold war, however, maps were kept secret because, according to the author, it would have been incredibly difficult to escape the USSR without them (for civilians and military personnel attempting desertion; for the latter there was death penalty). The existence of the buffer zone in Eastern Europe is claimed to have also this purpose, to block people fleeing from the regime.

7. ioncore

ioncore Member

I could add here, that the reason why maps of 1:50 000 and higher scales (1:25 000 etc) are still considered secret in Russia, is that all the military and industrial installations are only drawn starting at these scales. So if you have 1:100 000 map scale (and smaller), you'll just get a swamp and meadows, but once you grab an 1:50 000, then there is somehow a huge plant on that very same spot, lol.

8. Miquel Ramirez

Miquel Ramirez Panther Games Designer

Great to see the integration between CO and QGIS working, Pavel... and it brings me to tears to see you modelling 1941 and going back to your old TOAW days stomping grounds :)

All the best,

Miquel.

9. ioncore

ioncore Member

Can't teach an old dog new tricks, lol. Anyway you're absolutely right, Summer 1941 is kind of recurring theme to me.
    And, by the way (adevertisement mode on). About a year ago I've even started some pretty serious archival research project, aimed at:
    - identifying names of all Soviet South-Western Front regiment-level commanders (ground forces only, incl. all artillery, rifle, tank, engineer etc regiments) by 22.06.41;
    - identifying their biography and fate;
    - finding their photos.
    You might be surprised, but over ~80 years this kind of data was never researched or published on a systematic level (you might find info on some regimental commanders, but never on all, and only occasionally you find some photos). So my work is based mostly on archival research (using pre-war orders, war-time combat documents etc to find out names) and then I look for personal cases in archives to find bios and photos. And even tho I'm able to identify like 80-90% of commanders in total (and find out like 90% of photos and bios for them), there're still gaps.
    I know it's pretty narrow and focused research, but, anyway, if you'll ever need this kind of info for any of your wargame activities, you know where to look for :) I publish them in my blog on bi-weekly basis (one Rifle Corps or Mechanized Corps or one Army-level support at the time). Here's a link to the latest datasheet (6th Rifle Corps).
    (Advertisement mode off)

Miquel Ramirez likes this.
  10. Miquel Ramirez

Miquel Ramirez Panther Games Designer

Amazing Pavel... I don't have words for that. It is pretty remarkable to be able to trace back the details of all those men and look into their eyes.

Godspeed with the new release!

ioncore likes this.
  11. Kurt

Kurt Member

Wow ! You really should release a book , I would buy it !

ioncore likes this.
  12. ioncore

ioncore Member

Well, I've never thought about it, but may be it's a viable option. Of course, an English version and with an extra stuff - like may be maps showing unit location by 22.06.41, also some debriefing on first days of war and then eventual unit's fate. Thanks for the idea!

13. Kurt

Kurt Member

Screenshot 2018-05-10 21.22.35.png There are books on German & Allied commanders , lists of their medals & awards . I have a book on SS divisional and above commanders , it cost £50 but is well worth it . Don't know of any Soviet equivalents .
    found one !

#33 Kurt, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
  14. ioncore

ioncore Member

As we were able to achieve some good results fixing "out of sync" bug, I finally have found some free time to work a bit on this scenario again. Here's the first attempt to draw the SAM:

Radziechow.png

Keydet likes this.
  15. Kurt

Kurt Member