Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

OVERLOON 1 as ALLIES

john connor

I've been playing through Overloon 1, from Westwall, as Allies. I'm playing the latest Steam version. It's a great scenario, the right size for me. This time I've been playing 'no holds barred', which isn't what I usually do. Meaning, I have been using my artillery as much as I want, manually directed in huge concentrations. It's devastating at breaking up attacks, in particular. In this case, counter-attacks. For example, a strong counter-attack with Panthers and Tigers just came in to Overloon from the south-west there, and arty stopped it dead.

I am going to get a draw, I think. There's only 24 hours left and most of my lot are exhausted. They won't be able to take Venraij unless the Axis turns out to be very depleted, and there's not enough destruction markers on the map to suggest they have been crippled. Plus, my advance has left many strong enough Axis units behind my lines and they are regularly (by their presence alone, straddling supply routes) cutting my combat supplies.

So the AI is doing well, I think. It is true that there has been no where near the same amount of enemy AI directed arty coming down on me as I have used on them. There has been some. But not enough. But even with that imbalance - which I hope the dev is looking at - the AI has still done well.

Notice that it's putting in a strong counter-attack to the Stevenbeek woods objective. There has already been nearly forty-eight hours of heavy fighting over that objective, yet there they are coming back in behind me, in strength!

There are also still suffiently strong Axis units north of Vortum - the 20 point objective I've taken over to the East - to prevent me doing much in terms of using that force over there for a follow-on attack down to the East of Venraij.

I can't recall how the Allies did historically. It was a failure, I know. But did they get into Overloon, even, during this first attempt?

If my game continues and ends just like this then I'll be more or less left at the Allied starting positions for Overloon 2, I believe! (As if it were a campaign...)

Nice scenario and lovely map. Can't recall who made it (even though I beta tested it a long while ago), but great work! Thanks.

1.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Bie

john connor

3.gif

Control map shows the Axis AI doing very well. We will get no where near the Loobeek at this rate, let alone cross it and march triumphant into Venraij. This will be a more or less historical result for me, I fear...

In fact, looking at this situation I think the sensible thing to do now would be to pull back from Overloon, but there's no point in doing that, in game terms. In reality, with my forces cut off in Overloon, no clear supply routes in, and strong Axis armoured attacks coming in, I think a commander would pull back.

Last edited:

john connor

A marginal defeat. Tough game. The AI did excellent and had considerable firepower available. But note the ridiculously low casualties caused by Axis arty - 25!!! I do hope this can be fixed when Dave gets to look at it. The extremely high 'Aper' casualties seem off to me too. The Allied arty undoubtedly caused most of the casualties, I feel, but it looks like many are being credited as Aper. None of the Allied arty (save one small mortar unit) was even close enough to the FLOT to be in use as direct fire weapons.

4.gif

That was the best the Americans could do. Excellent, enjoyable and challenging contest. If I had hampered my direct manual use of arty - to better fit the lack of arty use on the part of the enemy AI - then it would have been even harder and an even greater loss. But worth noting that if the Axis enemy AI was fully using their arty as I was then casualties would be off the scale, and perhaps very unhistorical. Most of that could perhaps be credited to me just pushing on though, even though it was clear after 24 hours that this was a town too far. Total historical losses, for both sides, over both operations (Overloon 1 and 2, not just this one) are usually given as near 2,500. We have already well exceeded that here.

Now to Overloon 2, to see if the Brits can do any better....

Last edited:
Reactions: Bie

Bie

Good effort. Haven't actually played any of the Westwall scenarios. I should really get back to Co2

john connor

Well, I'd like to properly get back to it too, but we're a bit in limbo, I think, and have been for a while, awaiting an update and Patton's Charge and progress. Hopefully it's not going to be too much longer...