Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

GPQ: How I conduct rapid recon with a single unit?

Templer

Website
redzoneaction.org
I bring this up because it's still not anwered: :shy:

How I conduct rapid recon with a single unit?

What command (Probe, attack,move or ???) do I have to use?

Something else to do or to pay attention for?

This depends on a number of factors. First off choose a motorised unit unless the terrain you want reconoitered is rugged or not passable to motorised. Order it to Move but set the Aggro to Max so it will tend to fire if it encounters the enemy rather than advance. That way it be less likely to get too close. Set the acceptable losses to Min so that it will break off any engagements early. Check the Bypass option so it will reroute around the enemy. If you are using a Bn to co a recce in force, then you could consider checking the Attacks option as well. But for a single unit, I'd avoid doing so. If the purpose is to recce a road, then set the route type to Quickest as you don't want to avoid the enemy.

Now this is useful.

Hello Arjuna,

Thank you.

Very helpful your response.

One of my 1000 questions is answered.

Nevertheless, I am confused.

Arjuna says:

...acceptable losses to Min So that It will break off any engagements early

The game manual page 61 Acceptable Losses Level Change says:

The Acceptable Losses level determines how many casualties your force will take before it warns you. Your units will continue to attempt to carry out their orders even after reaching this threshold, so in effect it is a reminderto you to consider changing your plan and issuing new capacity (less costly) orders. One exception to this rule is the sample order - units engaged in a trial will bunker down (see Launch a sample) if they assess the opposition is too great and setting a low level will cause Acceptable Losses them to do this sooner.

What is it now?

Templer,

I better check the code before giving you a definitive answer. I'll be back.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Gee Templar, you must be one of the most tenacious people I know. That link was to a post back in 2010 on the old Matrix forums.:wideyed:

But thanks anyway for drawing it to my attention. I just checked the code again and I think that the text you referred to from the manual is a bit misleading - my bad. :banghead:

It's all about probabilities. The level you set either increases or decreases the probabilities of the unit responding to losses. This can occur in three ways. The first two relate to Delay missions and it is used to determine if a delay blocking position is untenable and the force should pull back. The third is in the StandardBunkerDownReassessment code. This can be called in all missions and determines whether or not the force will abandon its current plan and bunker down somewhere safe. So it's definitely more than just a warning. It does affect the probability of bunkering down.

I'll endeavour to revise the text in the manual when I get a spare moment.

Thanks for persisting. :)