Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Aid for Scenario Designers

GoodGuy

Is it possible to remove the fog of war, so that Community Scenario Designers can speed up testing and adjusting of scenarios?
Since I can imagine that you don't want non-beta-testers to access the debug tools, such option could be made available as a switch for the main executable (ie. CommandOps.exe /nofog) and only handed out to Community designers, for example (so that players don't get tempted to use it as a cheat), and you could change the switch with each update (say /nofoggie in 5.03, /foggoaway in 5.04, etc), as "security" measure.
As this would enable Designers to observe enemy AI behaviour, they could help to track down potential (future) misbehaviours or irregular moves performed by of the (enemy) AI. So, in a way, you'd expand your base of helping hands that way, too, even if they aren't game testers.

What do you think?

Last edited:

GoodGuy

How am I going to identify the scenario designers. Everyone will put their hands up for it.

True, but it shouldn't be too hard to compile a list of designers. There were a number of active designers in the COTA and the BFTB forum, and there are some new guys here, obviously. The community could jump in there and compile a list for you, or you could cherry-pick some, or you ask the Bunnies who they think they'd trust or who's got sufficient experience or output.
You can also have those designers fax and sign some LnL-NDA (lemme call it Community Designer-NDA) or something like that, to protect your intellectual property, if you think you'd need that.
I'd sign one.

GoodGuy

I see, that will be your call. Inspired by the thread in the scenarios forum, I just tried to come up with a feasable way of making things easier for scenario designers. A nofog-option would save weeks of testing/adjusting.

Kurt

I agree GoodGuy, just make it available to all , if people want to "cheat" whilst playing then thats their call.

76mm

Couldn't you just require that both players agree on removal of FoW for either side?