Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Banzai leader question

trima

Hi-

During a Banzai attack and a leader accompanying the squads gets wounded by OF- does he have to stop in that hex or can he continue with the rest of the squads who, although they suffered a step reduction, can continue their movement?

I *think* they do continue but section 5.1 on Wounded SMC doesnt have the caveat exception for Banzai like the rest of the manual does. Just making sure.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Jeff Lewis

They keep going. In 13.1.3 "units . . . do not stop after receiving casualties . . ."

It could be made clearer and specify Leaders and Wounds.

trima

Thanks I thought so. I was playing the second scenario and the US MG with the Slayer perk was absolutely wasting the night Banzai attack.
The wounded Jap leader staggered forward only to ultimately get wasted in melee. Great fun :)

"A Japanese Leader who is not marked with a Fired, Moved, Assault Move, Low Crawl, Ops Complete or Melee marker can initiate a Banzai attack as the first action of his impulse if he is within six (6) MPs (not hexes) of a Spotted enemy-occupied hex". I guess the hex must be occupied only by non-vehicular units. Am I right?

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Well...the goal of a banzai attack is to enter melee with enemy units, which can't be done if there is a vehicle in the hex. It is also mentionned that a Leader succesfully performing a spotting attempt on an enemy hex can order a Banzai attack on THAT hex. If the hex is already spotted, the rules don't make it specific that the target hex be the same as the one that allow the leader to initiate the banzai but, for the sake of consistency, it should. So, to be clear, yes, the hex that allow a leader to initiate a banzai attack (and will become the target hex) must be occupied only by non-vehicular unit. All IMO of course.