Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

CO2 Greenlights on Steam

UKMule

Great news!! I really hope this brings in new players. I'm sure it will. I will be trying to help out over the Steam forums as much as I can to get the newer ppl into this.

Shadrach

It's great to see CO2 come to Steam, and I think it will do well there.

But to avoid the inevitable storm of support requests on the forums there, I think something needs to be done about the UI which is starting to really show its age. To avoid bad reviews something has to be done to remedy some of the issues and modernize it.

- In high resolutions like 4K everything apart from the map is ridiculously small. I play in 2560 x 1440 and even there some things are way too small, while others like the messages text is large.

- Using Windows DPI Scaling set to 150%, and I get issues with text overflowing UI borders, creating a mess, and some of the text still extremely small while other seems to scale.

- Trying to run in lower resolutions the UI elements just turn black and everything is blurry since I have to run in non-native resolutions...

In fact these things are reasons why I don't play CO2 as much as I'd like to, even though I love it.

In addition, the Steam user base are very quick to give bad reviews and ask for refunds, and tend to swamp the community forums with support after release, so it will be very important you guys are active there every day as well.

*budd*

^ what he said. Long time fans are always more forgiving, but new customers not so much. Things like the poster mentions above and some of the things in the other threads like, the SAMs not all done, hotkeys not working, replay not functioning correctly will be pounced on. you'll have the free base and scenarios in your favor but you get one time to make a first impression. This game takes a bit of time to appreciate, more than the 2 hour steam refund window.

rocketman

I agree with the previous posters. I think some minor enhancements to the graphics would be beneficial to attract customers and I not talking about any kind of overhaul. I think villages, towns, cities and woods need a facelift to make a better first impression.

pekische

I am long time player but I am not forgiving in the case of UI. It is really weak point of this game. Unfortunately CO2 didn´t bring any progress for UI. Modern UI should bring much more then only multi-window UI....

Shadrach

Well, don't get me wrong, I do like the UI as it is designed, and the multi-monitor ability is great - I would just want it to scale properly to modern resolutions and for the game to support stuff like DPI scaling.

I know it will probably be hard as a lot of the UI is hard-coded in size, to fit icons and text of a certain size, but in this day when people play at large resolutions, and 4K monitors are cheap as, it is really needed. (Not that I'd recommend anyone get a 4K monitor, bit too early for that IMO... but people still are)

An alternative is for the developers to say in the "manifest" that "this game does not support higher DPI settings" and then let Windows scale it - it will be a bit blurry, but at least more usable than what it is now.

*budd*

I am long time player but I am not forgiving in the case of UI. It is really weak point of this game. Unfortunately CO2 didn´t bring any progress for UI. Modern UI should bring much more then only multi-window UI....

Can i ask what your ideas are for a UI change. I prefer this UI to the last version mainly because i can see more of the map and place things where i want.

User1125

I am another customer that does not like the CO2 User Interface.

I agree with comments above regarding text size, scaling, etc... I feel that the interface is clunky and the fact that the various windows cant be resized is a problem also.

This game runs on the Windows Operating System, so why not design the interface like Windows? What I have in mind is the header across the top of the screen with the various categories listed, which can be clicked on, and then a drop down is presented with further options. This would be a much cleaner and more elegant solution. Additionally, your customers are already very familiar with this type of interface.

TortugaPower

I don't want to derail the original thread (about Steam! and I certainly hope that happens soon!), however...

I think the UI discussion breaks down to people who understand the game or are used to it vs. people who are new to it. Setting up your UI is only nice if you understand what all of the UI is, etc. So this is extra nice for veterans, but extra harsh on new players.

In this sense, I think, the UI may need some upgrading before Steam in order to more easily draw in new players. That's my two cents :)

I just started playing Command Ops again after a long break thanks to this sale. I forgot how much I love this game, it really is one of my favorites.

The new UI definitely takes some getting used to, and after having played a ton of Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops I can't help but think Command Ops 2 would benefit from a similar UI. I understand how much work would be involved with completely overhauling the UI, but I'd love to see it move in that direction one day.

I hope the Steam thing goes well.

*budd*

Did the rest of the SAM's get finished? you'll get grief for that on steam. Patton's Charge sounds cool, i second rocketman's request. I wish you good luck on Steam, hope its a big seller.