Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

LnLT Play By Forum: Heroes Against the Red Star #9 Down Time (PLAYERS NEEDED)

Ty Snouffer

TURN 4

2 Soviet MMCs move to Melee US Hero. Soviets eliminate Hero! (3:1 odds - That is what the resolution chart says). I rolled randomly to see if the Hero would fight everyone or just one MMC. He took on the whole stack but failed. Hero eliminated and hex reverts to Soviets.

US impulse - Medic moves to hex with shaken US unit.

Soviet impulse. Orders? All that is left for the turn is the Shaken Soviet in Q9.

(note - will be offline for a few days starting later today. Would be great if we can finish this turn before then.)

Current State:
image.png

Barthheart

Staff member
Yeah! Good stuff! Oh wait.... the column shift for Heroes in the resolution chart is only for the Hero side.... is that what you meant?

[Order] Move shaken squad in Q9 to R10.

Start of next turn squad without SW in upper level P10 should grab LAW.

Rydo

YAY! I love you Barth! :) Great risk but worth it!

[ Order ] = Move the shaken squad from Q9 to R10.

We'll wait your return Mr.Ty! :)

Edit - We sent the message at the same time, we might have started to have a connected mind :)

Ty Snouffer

Yeah! Good stuff! Oh wait.... the column shift for Heroes in the resolution chart is only for the Hero side.... is that what you meant?

[Order] Move shaken squad in Q9 to R10.

Start of next turn squad without SW in upper level P10 should grab LAW.

I was saying that the 5:2 odd resolved to 3:1 not 2:1 as I think you mentioned. Better for the Soviets!

Rydo

No need to look at the charts anymore. The hero is gone. Let's advance! What is done can't be undone :)

( I don't want a re-roll if there was a mistake :( ).

Rydo

Mr.Ty one last thing if you can please!

Leave us with an immage of turn 5 so we can think of what to do in this days you're off :)

Ty Snouffer

TURN 4

Soviets move Shaken MMC.
No impulses left.
EOT

We'll pick up play in a few days.

Logs posted. Current State
image.png

Barthheart

Staff member
I was saying that the 5:2 odd resolved to 3:1 not 2:1 as I think you mentioned. Better for the Soviets!

Hmmm... to me 5:2 is not as good as 6:2 so I would have rounded down to 2:1.
But like Rydo says I'll stop fighting against one of our only good rolls this game!

Thanks for doing all this Ty it's fun. Have a safe trip.

Starman

TURN 3

Soviets move MMCs and SW to top of R10. US Hero attempts OF but with NE
US Shaken unit retreats.
Strictly speaking only MMC under an ops complete can OF, Heroes are not listed as an exception under Operation Complete or under Heroes. Some assume its OK but perhaps its not an omission as MMCs have more hands to do multiple activities.

Starman

Barthheart

Staff member
I thought the same but I've never beed good with odds in wargaming so I checked this resource:

http://forums.lnlpublishing.com/resources/lnlt-melee-resolution-tables-for-rules-v4-1.145/

WOW! I've never looked at that table and I don't agree with it at all. It has 7 vs 3 as 3:1, not even close. 7/3=2.3333333 that doesn't even round up . I might by 5 vs 2 because 5/2=2.5.
In almost every wargame I've ever played its always stated that odds/ratios are always rounded down/ in favour of the defender.
I wonder who made that table and who approved it....

Starman

Round up or round down , depends on if the fire power figures are conservative or not.

LnL is round up and that means half 1 is 1 not 0.

It works well enough and impacts both sides the same. As for the chart it is just a pictorial view of taking the ratio and matching it to the nearest ratio (round up ) column on the melee table.

EDIT I agree with you just looked at the chart it is wrong , I had assumed it would have been checked as posted on here. Never looked at it as I can do this stuff in my head.

It was fan made and posted by David but I guess he assumed it was correct , nowhere in current LNL rules has it ever said drop fractions. V2 and V3 yes.

Rounding though is not as big a deal as you think.

Rounding down means less than or equal to .5 goes down and greater than .5 goes up.
Rounding up means less than .5 goes down and greater than or equal to .5 goes up.

7:3 = 2.33 : 1 rounded up = 2:1
7:3 = 2.33 : 1 rounded down = 2:1

That is the engineer in me and rounding only applies to the point you go up or down it is not dropping fractions that is creating integers.

I have left a post on the resource page.

http://www.forums.lnlpublishing.com/threads/lnlt-melee-resolution-tables-for-rules-v4-1.2934/

Last edited:

Ty Snouffer

Back online. BOT 5 of 5. Last turn.

I count 7 building Hexes for the US. 10 for the Soviets right now. +1 VP for the Soviets for eliminating the Hero. So 7-11 right now. Tactical victory for the Soviets right now.

US wins initiative and rallies unit with Medic.
Soviet can't rally MMC in R11. PIcks up LAW elsewhere.

US impulse. US MMC adjacent to building Melees into P10. US NE. Soviets eliminate MMC! Loser hex market with Melee marker.

Soviet impulse. Orders?

Current state:
image.png

Starman

May join in next game but only if we can agree on the rounding rules before we start.

Barthheart

Staff member
I'd suggest button the tank and use AM to spin in place and face hexspine Q12/R12. Hold AM fire for Op fire.