Map Textures Mod

Discussion in 'Command Ops Series' started by GeneralGandhi, Jun 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. GeneralGandhi

GeneralGandhi Member

2. john connor

john connor Member

I wonder if that would work with CO2. Where can you get it, do you know?

3. simovitch

simovitch Member

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work in CO2, It's bitmap based and not much has changed in the graphics department. It would be great to see some quality terrain mods done for CO2.

4. GeneralGandhi

GeneralGandhi Member

Bingo. These files are more than ten years old. Surely someone skilled in graphic editing can make better graphics.

You can download them in the top link

And yes, they work in CO2; but it would be interesting to have updated options for 2018 CO2, like those graphical mods for the 2006 COTA.

[​IMG]

#4 GeneralGandhi, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  5. Shadrach

Shadrach Member

Yeah they work - thanks to Archive.org :)

But now since the engine has several different theatres as well as ground conditions like ice, mud etc, you'd need to make different textures for all of those...

By the way, I was reminded of that Spanish Civil War scenario - was it actually ever finished and playable, would it work in CmdOps2?

6. GeneralGandhi

GeneralGandhi Member

The mod of the battle of Jarama is absolutely stopped; to make something credible, the civil war requires modifications of the engine to adapt it to the doctrine and technology of 36-39 ... artillery, cavalry ...

7. john connor

john connor Member

I think the stock maps and map style are superb, I must say. It's nice to have options, but they're not needed. Stock COTA was great. I did try the paper mod ages ago and went back to stock, in the end.

8. HenricE

HenricE Member

Personally I'd love some high res topographical maps to play on. A personal preference, certainly, but you'd capture a whole lot of immersion updating the maps a bit.

9. Kolbex

Kolbex Member

Oh my, those are beautiful.

10. Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor Panther Games Designer

Do you have a picture of what you mean?

11. jimcarravallah

Here's a document on United States Geological Survey Topo map symbols.

It appears to have most of the same terrain features included on the CO2 combat maps though something like "polder" would have to be defined with two terrain designations (e.g. "land subject to inundation" / "shrubland"). The terrain textures tend to follow CO2 textures except for the color depth and limitations of the bitmap size used to define them. Where the maps differ is in the use of colors to define height layers. Those height layer colors tend to mask the terrain feature information.

Attached Files:

12. GeneralGandhi

GeneralGandhi Member

I think that someone capable in graphic editing, modifying the bitmaps could achieve a fabulous appearance, the previous images attest to that. What is surprising is that the community has not modified the bitmaps since CoTA.

However, it would not be wrong to avoid colors to indicate different altitudes, and introduce level lines, more map symbols...

[​IMG]

P.D: ...and add the possibility of rotating the signs to adjust them to the itinerary of roads, railways and roads ...

Captura de pantalla 2018-06-14 a las 17.06.00.png

#12 GeneralGandhi, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  13. kipanderson

kipanderson Member

Hi,

I too have always been a fan of out and out, straight forward topographical maps for wargames. But rare to find them. They would give a great new feel to COs.

All the best,
    Kip.

14. HenricE

HenricE Member

Yeah, as others above have said and showed already, something like this would be awesome in high-res:

[​IMG]