Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

premature assault behaviour

Kurt

The assault units are/have changed into road column and are advancing on the objective. The presence of enemy in objective indicates that it is not secure so this is premature behaviour Screenshot 2015-05-10 16.33.00.png

Attachments

• AutoSave #17.zip
    154 KB · Views: 0

Daz

This is a very important bug to bring to Dave's attention Kurt, thanks for posting it.
I assume this happened after the attack was reported as stalled in the messages log?
It's been with us a while now, and would be nice to get rid of it for our sakes, and that of the enemy AI.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Hold on a moment. Where is the problem in that screen shot? I see a friendly German unit on the object and another group to the east in final reorg. They have already reached the objective. There is one enemy within 500m but I have no indication of its strength. If it is rump unit then it will be very likely that the Germans have a huge superiority at the objective. Remember just because the formation footprint extends over a kilometre past the objective does not mean the assaulting units have to clear out to there. Am I missing something here?

Daz

If its what I suspect it is, the attack has turned into a move to the attack waypoint after it stalled.
I can tell this by the amount of his units that are in retreat recovery.
Will need Kurt to confirm this of course.

If I had time I would set something up to provide you with an example, but my quiet weekend turned into a months worth of hard graft in my garden at home, to occupy my spare time at the moment.
I have my wife to thank for that. I hope she don't come home and find me on here or I'll be in big trouble :dead:

Kurt

As I recall it was indeed a stalled attack that turned into "lets just march on the objective in nice neat columns whilst still under fire" . IMO its not very tactical to present a perfect enfilade target to enemy direct fire. Units should maintain an aggressive posture throughout an assault right up to the point of assuming all round defense .In the screen shot there are still dangerous enemy threats IMO :wideyed:

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
As I recall it was indeed a stalled attack that turned into "lets just march on the objective in nice neat columns whilst still under fire" . IMO its not very tactical to present a perfect enfilade target to enemy direct fire. Units should maintain an aggressive posture throughout an assault right up to the point of assuming all round defense .In the screen shot there are still dangerous enemy threats IMO :wideyed:
I doubt if you would be that impressed if the enemy bugged out and still your forces plodded on cross country for several hours when it would be quicker to resume an advance up the road. There is a reassessment that determines if the there are no longer any effective enemy at the objective and if not then it stops the Assault and creates a Move task instead. I assume then that this has cut in. I do not want to throw the baby out with bath water here. So perhaps if we can tighten up the conditions which would stop the assault then may have the best of worlds. Is there a save taken while they were still assaulting?

Kurt

Oh eer I will check but I only get 20 auto saves and I have been playing/testing a lot this weekend so may be overwritten

Daz

I doubt if you would be that impressed if the enemy bugged out and still your forces plodded on cross country for several hours when it would be quicker to resume an advance up the road. There is a reassessment that determines if the there are no longer any effective enemy at the objective and if not then it stops the Assault and creates a Move task instead. I assume then that this has cut in. I do not want to throw the baby out with bath water here. So perhaps if we can tighten up the conditions which would stop the assault then may have the best of worlds. Is there a save taken while they were still assaulting?

If the attack is reported as stalled, because it was beaten back, why would they assume that the objective is now clear, and instead move into Road Column towards it?
I personally would like the AI to conduct either a probe, a move to the attack marker in the same formation that the attack was initially conducted in, or they bunker down.

If the attack is reported as stalled, because it was beaten back, why would they assume that the objective is now clear, and instead move into Road Column towards it?
I personally would like the AI to conduct either a probe, a move to the attack marker in the same formation that the attack was initially conducted in, or they bunker down.

This works for me also.

Rob

Me three.