Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Starshell placed by Mortars WT

MCabido

20.3 states: "Onboard Mortars (WTs only) can also place Starshells (pending Nationality Capability), but a GO Leader or Scout must use their impulse to call-in the fire. The Leader/Scout can place a Starshell marker in any hex within THREE hexes of his hex or in any hex in his LOS under a Fired marker that is also within range of the Mortar (no roll is made).

I'm not sure I understand the sentence "pending Nationality Capability" here. As I could understand, using a Leader to direct the Mortar WT would automatically place the starshell (no roll is made). Can a Mortars WT place a starshell by itself (without a Leader directing the fire) in a hex with a Fired marker? If so, no roll is made too? If I take the sentence literally, the "but" conditions the starshell placement to the direction of a GO Leader, so that a WT wouldn't be able to do it by itself. Is that so?

MCabido

I have read some comments that suggest that there must be a leader for a WT to fire a starshell and it is automatic (no roll), but those are from 2015/2016. Anyway, it seems consistent with the rules above.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
The "pending National Capability" means that if a nationality does not have any Starshell capability, its WT (as well as its leader/scout of course) cannot fire Starshell. Beyond that, yes, success is automatic (no roll is made, as stated in the rules), but a leader/scout is "used" for it. The WT cannot place it on itself.