Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Wadi Hex Questions?

We opened my copy of Heroes of North Africa this week, yes I have had it for years but we still haven’t played all the scenarios from the other LnL Tactical games we have!

1. cost to enter exit Wadi for leg is listed in notes as 2 MPs should it really be +1, reading literally this means it costs the same to exit a Wadi into a clear hex as say a hammada hex?

2. do vehicles roll for bogging in Wadi Hexes?

Thanks for your help! This game looks to be one of the LnL Tactical series best!
Peter

PS I will post this on boardgamegeek too

Last edited:

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
1. You still have to pay the cost for the terrain you are entering, above the cost for exiting the wadi. Yes, it means it is easier to tumble down into a wadi then to climb out of it.
2. No only in Clear and Hammada

It is certainly an interesting, even challenging module; so much open space!

Hi Stéphane,
Thanks for the prompt reply.
So the cost of my MMC to enter the Wadi is 2MP and the for them to exit to a clear hex is 3MP or a Hammada hex is 4 MP, effectively the chart should read +1MP to enter and +2MP to exit for leg, I assume that the harder to get out than get in extrapolates to the other unit types as well, interesting way to write it up on the table.
Thanks again!

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Frankly, that is just my interpretation. For a leg unit, there is a cost to exit the wadi and then there is a cost to enter the hex into which you exit. I would not extrapolate to other type of units. A O-type vehicle, for example, would spend 3 Mps to enter a Wadi and only 1 to exit it in a Clear hex.

Don't look too much for logic here. For example, entering a building on foot from a clear hex cost two MPs but exiting said building, in the same move, by the same door, only cost 1 MP :)

Thanks Stéphane, hope a designer will give their input here on the forum I would like to get some definitive clarification.

Here’s where I stand…

Okay reading the terrain effects chart literally for leg units only;
-to enter a Wadi hex from an adjacent clear/sand/hammada/scrub hex costs 2MP
-to exit a Wadi hex and enter an adjacent clear/sand/hammada/scrub hex costs 2MP
-to move along a Wadi eg Wadi hex to connected Wadi hex costs 1MP a hex

That doesn’t sound right. I would have thought entering/exiting should be +?MP the current way the Palyer Aid reads it is a fixed cost regardless of entry/exit hex type, can I please get some definitive guidance on this.

Now the notes do not cover the other types of Units so again reading the terrain effects chart literally these Units pay a fixed amount to enter a Wadi hex from an adjacent hex or the same amount when moving along continuo Wadi hexes and when exiting a Wadi hex just pay just the MP cost of the appropriate terrain hex. This makes sense as these Units are (I assume) probably not entering the Wadi itself but negotiating along its side within the hex (is that right?) anyway it is not consistent with how Wadi hex costs are applied for leg Units?

So do we read the terrain effects chart literally?

Thanks in advance to any designer/staffer who can help with this!

Attachments

• 669BA988-CC7B-46AB-9ABE-DEE6448D3291.jpeg
    669BA988-CC7B-46AB-9ABE-DEE6448D3291.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 0504F578-8867-4B62-8FC4-BFAB13D1A55D.jpeg
    0504F578-8867-4B62-8FC4-BFAB13D1A55D.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 1

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Hello Captain!

Yes, in the absence of any hint that something should be changed, I read the TEC quite litterally.

The problem with using + ? MPs is that this notation is for hexside terrain, which the Wadi is not. Using the notes column is the way to go.

Yes, it does seem that the vehicle cost is not applied consistently to how it is done for leg units but then, leg units are the only one to benefit from the Wadi's TM

Thanks again Stéphane.

In this case I think there is an issue with the terrain effects chart regarding Wadi hexes but will play as per my literal reading of it as listed above, hopefully designers will look into it at some point.

Cheers!
Peter

Last edited: