Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

What are the symptoms of a scenario that is too large?

Grognerd

So I'm running a test play to see if everything works and the following is happening:
When I am at the maximum zoom in level units I click on to command or review,they won't respond to the mouse click. All units un-clickable.
When I zoom out by one (or any level less the maximum zoom in) it works fine.

I've got a reasonably powerful gaming laptop, MSI Raider w/ 32 gig of ram, decent intel processor 10750 at 2.26 gig and a Nvidia 2070 Video card.

I suspect I made the map too big at 77440 by 63104. It's Operation Winter Storm. The map cache is 29,223 and map size is 4486. There are stock scenarios that are almost that size.
Not sure why it does this, maybe the scenario got a bit of corruption? or will I need to crop the map down? Anyone have this or similar issue before?

So I'm running a test play to see if everything works and the following is happening:
When I am at the maximum zoom in level units I click on to command or review,they won't respond to the mouse click. All units un-clickable.
When I zoom out by one (or any level less the maximum zoom in) it works fine.

I've got a reasonably powerful gaming laptop, MSI Raider w/ 32 gig of ram, decent intel processor 10750 at 2.26 gig and a Nvidia 2070 Video card.

I suspect I made the map too big at 77440 by 63104. It's Operation Winter Storm. The map cache is 29,223 and map size is 4486. There are stock scenarios that are almost that size.
Not sure why it does this, maybe the scenario got a bit of corruption? or will I need to crop the map down? Anyone have this or similar issue before?
The size of the map will afect game performance. I've noted it usually at game start as I presume the game software is "sertting the stage" for the ensuing play.

I suspect the zoom would affect it by setting how much information has to be displayed on the current map.
I believe the MapMaker manual has an obscure passage which indicates the optium map size for game play. It's possible your map exceeds that size, bogging down the calculations.

Grognerd

The map maker manual indeed has a passage about maximum map size and I did exceed that.

I was hoping since the map is fairly simple, and computers have come a long way since that statement was written, things would work. But maybe not so much - Ha!

I can play the scenario if I don't issue orders at max zoom in, seems to play okay. It has a big delay at 6:00 am first morning then seems to run good enough. Not sure how it will run on older systems though.

I clipped the map 12 kilometers on the southern border - that eliminates most fighting on the 12th of Dec, which was a German easy victory - the 13th is where it gets harder for the German player. The 4 Mech Corp and 13th Tank Corp enter the northern map edge.

The performance is somewhat better, the only units that won't function at max zoom in are the large corp bases. Otherwise it's playable. Don't want to cut the map down any more,so I guess I'll put in designers notes about the issue and go with it. Operation Winter Storm does not see a lot of games written about it, so I thought it would be interesting.

Got to make sure I stick with smaller maps in the other scenario's I'm working on.

The map maker manual indeed has a passage about maximum map size and I did exceed that.

I was hoping since the map is fairly simple, and computers have come a long way since that statement was written, things would work. But maybe not so much - Ha!

I can play the scenario if I don't issue orders at max zoom in, seems to play okay. It has a big delay at 6:00 am first morning then seems to run good enough. Not sure how it will run on older systems though.

I clipped the map 12 kilometers on the southern border - that eliminates most fighting on the 12th of Dec, which was a German easy victory - the 13th is where it gets harder for the German player. The 4 Mech Corp and 13th Tank Corp enter the northern map edge.

The performance is somewhat better, the only units that won't function at max zoom in are the large corp bases. Otherwise it's playable. Don't want to cut the map down any more,so I guess I'll put in designers notes about the issue and go with it. Operation Winter Storm does not see a lot of games written about it, so I thought it would be interesting.

Got to make sure I stick with smaller maps in the other scenario's I'm working on.
Assuming you didn't specify otherwise, the delay at 0600 is for the initial supply delivery. There is an option to do only night time resupply to keep high daytime visibility from being used to perform interdictions at long ranges.

The standard supply pulses, which sometimes cause a pause in the display as optimum supply routes are chosen from all options and deliveries dispatched, are at 0600 and 1800 daily.

Last edited:

Grognerd

Okay, thanks for that.
Got to admit, have not played in quite awhile. But the scenario design stuff came back pretty quick, all the nuances of play will too, I hope.