Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

WWII Romanian Counter Colors

Double Deuce

Yes, I am aware that there are no Romanians available in the LnLT mix yet, this is for a personal project. My inquiry is, or has, any specific color swatch been designated or considered for that nationalities forces yet? If not, I'll just go with what I have already started using and go from there.

Rydo

Yes, I am aware that there are no Romanians available in the LnLT mix yet, this is for a personal project. My inquiry is, or has, any specific color swatch been designated or considered for that nationalities forces yet? If not, I'll just go with what I have already started using and go from there.
I doubt it was ever considered.

Go for it!

What color have you decided?

Double Deuce

I was thinking going with a green shade for the base color but now I see the Americans are dark green and Italians are light green so I am rethinking things. Will have to do some experimenting and post again.

Rydo

I was thinking going with a green shade for the base color but now I see the Americans are dark green and Italians are light green so I am rethinking things. Will have to do some experimenting and post again.
I would go with a brownish-red type mixture for them.

Double Deuce

I would go with a brownish-red type mixture for them.
Wondering if that would cause confusion with the Russian counters though? Before I saw your post I worked up this template with the German gray border, as they are allies, to see how the colors worked together. Might be kind of 'bright' me thinks.

Attachments

• RO_0000-FrontVSL_copy.png
    RO_0000-FrontVSL_copy.png
    7 KB · Views: 1

Devin Heinle

Administrator
Staff member
may want to go with 2 different color schemes on the borders.....one in German grey trim for German allied Romanians..and one with Russian gold trim for Russian allies Romanians. Also, I would make the border on that counter a bit more prominent so it can be easily recognized what version they are with.

Double Deuce

Good points. I just wanted to get something started so I have counters for playtesting before I get distracted by something else. I'm thinking maybe go with a solid green counter for some Axis/Allied minors and then individual fill colors based on nationality for those that fought on both sides (I'm an old ASL player and have always liked how they use the 2 tone colors for some nation counters).

Based on that, the Romanians would be something more like this, with a 'less bright' green. I just need to check and make sure it's not conflicting with any existing LnLT nation's counter colors.

Attachments

• RO_0000-FrontVSL_copy.png
    RO_0000-FrontVSL_copy.png
    6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Rydo

Good points. I just wanted to get something started so I have counters for playtesting before I get distracted by something else. I'm thinking maybe go with a solid green counter for some Axis/Allied minors and then individual fill colors based on nationality for those that fought on both sides (I'm an old ASL player and have always liked how they use the 2 tone colors for some nation counters).

Based on that, the Romanians would be something more like this, with a 'less bright' green. I just need to check and make sure it's not conflicting with any existing LnLT nation's counter colors.
That green could work, even if i would make it even less bright.

BTW the color scheme you're suggesting here is not a bad idea.

My final words are to stick with one tone and scale it to make it less bright :)

Double Deuce

A little tweaking and here is the latest draft of the cavalry counter (it's a little less bright on paper :) ), minus the soldier portraits.

Attachments

• RO_CAV-Front.png
    RO_CAV-Front.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 2
  • RO_CAV-Shaken.png
    RO_CAV-Shaken.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 2

Tom Proudfoot

Digital Designer
Heroes of Stalingrad (the computer LnL game) had some Romanians, their counter background RGB is 81, 102, 71. To my eyes, though, this is very similar to the dark green US counter background - but I figure I'd mention it for completeness.

Double Deuce

Thanks Tom. Having the RBG # definitely helps and you are right, it's much closer to the Americans. I'll see if I can tweak it to happy medium so it's not so close.

Attachments

• RO_CAV-Front.png
    RO_CAV-Front.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 2

Renzo Bulli

Thanks Tom. Having the RBG # definitely helps and you are right, it's much closer to the Americans. I'll see if I can tweak it to happy medium so it's not so close.

It does look a lot like the US background, but does it really matter? I don't think the two ever met in combat in WW2. There should be a clear contrast with the Soviet and German colours. Panzergrenadier used yellow, which agrees with the colour of the Romanian national sports teams but is probably not suitable vs the Russians (PG uses light green for USSR units).

I'd go with dark green, and would avoid borders of any kind (personal preference, I find multi-coloured backgrounds distracting, French Corps Francs in Heroes in Defiance being a notable exception).

Double Deuce

Thanks for the feedback everyone . . .
OK, enough of the color tweaking and mucking about. I think they're ready enough for me to start making some homemade counters and building/playtesting scenarios. I can keep fine-tuning them later as needed.

Attachments

• RO_CAV-Front.png
    RO_CAV-Front.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 4
  • RO_INF-Front.png
    RO_INF-Front.png
    32.6 KB · Views: 4

Rydo

Thanks for the feedback everyone . . .
OK, enough of the color tweaking and mucking about. I think they're ready enough for me to start making some homemade counters and building/playtesting scenarios. I can keep fine-tuning them later as needed.
Good job. Ask us if you need more help!