Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

FIXED 5.0.12 - Data don´t stay FD dialog, 5.0.11

pekische

1/ I select an unit - FD dialog shows data of the unit.
2/ I deselect the unit but don´t select another one then FD dialog shows the data a few seconds more and then dialog is EMPTY.

I am not sure but I think that in previous versions of engine the unit´s data were displayed in FD until I select another unit. And that way seems to be more comfortable for me.

rjantzi

I checked this and found that, if the game is running, I get the same results as pekische describes above. If the game is paused the data in the FD dialogue box is retained after you de-select the unit. Hope this helps to track it down.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
That's because when the game is running the engine calls OnNextMinute() and this checks the current selection. If you have clicked off then there will be no selection and it will call ClearAll() on the dialog. If the game is paused then it won't process the call OnNextMinute() and hence the data remains. There are issues with having it retain the data when there is no selection. One of these is which force are you referring to when nothing is selected. In the long run I would like to add an icon on the dialog that can be pressed to select the unit but until then I'm loathe to change this behaviour.

BTW you can get what you want by opening an additional force data dialog. These are not dynamically related to the current selection and hence will retain their data for the original unit they were opened with.

Last edited:

pekische

BTW you can get what you want by opening an additional force data dialog. These are not dynamically related to the current selection and hence will retain their data for the original unit they were opened with.

I know but it means another opened dialog on screen:( I am afraid the game will be dialog and click fest...UI is still very uncomfortable...

john connor

This is new, then. I think it's not so useful. When you're monitoring what happens to a particular unit it's useful to have it's data up there to watch what's happening, even if you're busy clicking other areas, or just not wanting some of the clutter graphics that comes with a selection, so you select it, get the FD up, deselect and then watch it. But you're saying it doesn't update anyway if you deselect? If that's the case then it makes little difference, though the blank data box is unnerving. Why not get rid of it if it's doing nothing?

*budd*

I usually keep tabs on my units through the extended icons on the counter and if i notice something i want to check then i open an FD.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
OK I rechecked the code and commented out the new code that cleared the data from the force dialog when you click off on the map and have no units selected. It all worked fine so long as I had a single force. But if multiple forces had been selected and then I click off it no longer has any memory of what those selected forces were and hence it will crash. So my choices are:

1. Quick and Easy Option. Only clear the dialog when clicking off if multiple units selected, otherwise retain the data for a single force.
  2. More Work Option. Change the current data member which stores a single displayedForce to a vector of displayedForces and then rewrite every function within the class to handle this.
My preference is for the quick and easy option. Can you guys live with that? Ie it will be retained for a single force but cleared for multiple forces.

Follow Up. I implemented option 1 and I find it works quite well. Unless I get an overwhelming clamour I'll leave it at that.

Last edited: