Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

FIXED 5.0.9 - Map centres on a unit I don't want to be centered on

panzerde

Would you be happy if we ignored the centring code all together? - ie if when you select the bombard task icon we do nothing that would move the map.

That makes more sense to me than the current behavior. Right now it's very jarring to be trying to adjust bombardment parameters and suddenly lose site of the target. I probably already have a good idea what unit I'm using to bombard.

john connor

Ditto. It doesn't work as it's set up now because what happens in the last pic above (at that zoom level) when I click and hold the bombard placer to move it is that the image jumps to the bombarding unit and takes my pointer (complete with bombard placer) with it, dropping it somewhere near to the unit. I hadn't in fact noticed any centering code prior to this. BUT, but but, if you mean - can we do without the code that organises it so that when we SCROLL through levels the game automatically centres on the mouse pointer then NO - for God's sake keep that. It's great, and very functional. But that is when you're scrolling via the mousewheel, not when clicking. I'm talking about when you click here.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
In point of fact I modified the centring code for the mouse scroll wheel to ensure it did not try and be too fancy. It was calling a function that endeavoured to centre the map and this invoked some bounding checks that if fired could result in the mouse no longer being over the original point. I hated that and so removed that bit. It should now endeavour to end up with the mouse over the original location.

Anyway don't worry I won't change this bit. I will though get rid of it from the selection code.

john connor

Something was different to in CO1 here though. In CO1 this didn't happen at all, this jumping around. The way it worked in CO1 was fine, I think.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
I originally thought this had something to do with the task selection but in fact it's caused by the OB display. When you select a unit on the map, which you do as a by product of selecting that task, then it updates the selection in the OB display and this is causing the centring on the unit. There was a reason we did that so if the user selects a unit in the OB display he could be taken to its icon on the map. So we have an unintended effect. Mmm...

Daz

Would you be happy if we ignored the centring code all together? - ie if when you select the bombard task icon we do nothing that would move the map.
This would definitely be preferential to what is happening at the moment Dave.
The centring on the unit when moving the bombard, or the task marker is incredibly annoying.
So much so that I have stopped playing for the time being because of it :inpain:
Centring should only happen on a double click, or better yet for me, a hotkey press. Letter C maybe?

Daz

Daz,

The problem goes away if you close the OB display. I know this is not a permanent solution just an interim one till I get it fixed next week.
Ahh yeah that's much better.
Thanks for pointing that out Dave, I can jump back into the game again now without having to pull out what little hair I have left.
The game is looking great by the way :happy:

Website
springelkamp.nl
FIXED.

Selecting a unit in the force tree no longer brings it into view. To do so you need to double-click.

But giving a fire support order still centres the map on the firing unit instead of keeping the focus on the target.

With my today's gaming with 5.0.8 I found that the most annoying feature, which otherwise was rather good, (until a non-reproducable crash after 14 scenario-hours into Joe's Bridge, when I reattached the artillery unit to the boss).

EdJaws

... snip... (until a non-reproducable crash after 14 scenario-hours into Joe's Bridge, when I reattached the artillery unit to the boss).

Right now the reattach CTD is the most annoying thing that needs fixing, IMO. I was 9 hours away from the end of a scenario and bam, reattach -> CTD. It's not exactly non-reproducable as it happens quite often.

There is another topic here - http://forums.lnlpublishing.com/threads/ctd-when-reattaching-cca-4-arm-div-base-in-st-vith-tutorial.1316/ - with more info on the CTD.