Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Stalin's Triumph

Sean Druelinger

Staff member
Why do you say, that? Just because a range is too great, doesn't mean it can't show up on the map. BM-13s are short range weapons and the World at War series uses similar units with counters. No reason not to include a couple of BM-13 counters in my opinion.
Sorry for the long delay on this reply. The range of the Bm-13 were over 3.4 miles. Each hex on the map is 150m. They were not that close to the battle to be involved. But that doesn't mean we can't add some. Maybe in an addition of LOF?
Thanks
Sean

Jay Townsend

Sorry for the long delay on this reply. The range of the Bm-13 were over 3.4 miles. Each hex on the map is 150m. They were not that close to the battle to be involved. But that doesn't mean we can't add some. Maybe in an addition of LOF?
Thanks
Sean
Sean, many accounts have the BM-13s firing in direct support in the Battle of Kursk and a few times at almost point-blank range, so they could easily be included for this battle/game.

Sean Druelinger

Staff member
Hi Jay
Thank you for your reply. The BM-13 is a staple in the eastern front. Do you know of a book or have a source where I can read about them used directly against targets? I have David Glantz's book which is excellent source material so I will start there. I would like to see them as a counter but would need to see their impact before I can put stats on the counter. I can tell you now that the rules have rocket artillery and they are quite devastating. I will run your suggesti0n by Jim Snyder who has helped me with tuning the values used on the existing counters. Please keep the suggestions coming.
Thank you
Sean

Jay Townsend

Hi Jay
Thank you for your reply. The BM-13 is a staple in the eastern front. Do you know of a book or have a source where I can read about them used directly against targets? I have David Glantz's book which is excellent source material so I will start there. I would like to see them as a counter but would need to see their impact before I can put stats on the counter. I can tell you now that the rules have rocket artillery and they are quite devastating. I will run your suggesti0n by Jim Snyder who has helped me with tuning the values used on the existing counters. Please keep the suggestions coming.
Thank you
Sean

Katyusha multiple rocket launchers are a type of rocket artillery first built and fielded by the Soviet Union in World War II. Multiple rocket launchers such as these deliver a devastating amount of explosives to a target area more quickly than conventional artillery, but with lower accuracy and requiring a longer time to reload. They are fragile compared to artillery guns, but are inexpensive and easy to produce. Katyushas of World War II, the first self-propelled artillery mass-produced by the Soviet Union, were usually mounted on trucks. This mobility gave the Katyusha (and other self-propelled artillery) another advantage: being able to deliver a large blow all at once, and then move before being located and attacked with counter-battery fire.

Katyusha weapons of World War II included the BM-13 launcher, light BM-8, and heavy BM-31. Today, the nickname is also applied to newer truck-mounted Soviet (and not only Soviet) multiple rocket launchers—notably the common BM-21—and derivatives. the BM-21 counter is found in a couple of the WaW games already I believe.

Like the Nebelwerfer or BM-13Rocket truck had a short range and needed to be moved up close to the action.

The German Nebelwerfer was more accurate than the BM-13s/Katyusha as they used a different designed rockets.

I read in a number of desperate situations where the BM-13 was use in a direct fire support/defensive role in and around Kursk. I can’t recall where or which book I read these accounts in but you might find some of them in David M. Glantz & Jonathan M House’s book: The Battle of Kursk.

Sorry I don’t have the time to research this more, as I am actually designing other games for another company as well. But feel free to use a BM-13 counter or not, as it is your game design. Either way its all good!

Sean Druelinger

Staff member
Hi Jay

I have Glantz's book and I will review it for those examples. The game is about fun anyway and Katys are fun unless you are on the business end of one :)
Thank you
Sean