Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

LnLT Play By Forum: Heroes Against the Red Star #9 Down Time (PLAYERS NEEDED)

Ty Snouffer

I posted the latest log. It had been a while since I posted one. The option in front of the Soviets is more OF or take their next impulse.

Current situation:
image.png

Rydo

I too think is better to hold fire and see what the hero does.

Maybe we can do a stupid move and melee from T12 to R13? A 1:1 ratio, risky...

Rydo

I'm studying the situation and i come to this conlusion.

Using the Rule of the Unlucky Three ( RUT = Simulate possible results using the average die roll of 3 or 4 and adding the unlucky factor, that is to remove the 4 ) i got that if we activate the squads spotted and open fire to the firers we will get a negative result ( the infamous NE that is following us ).

And an old say teach us that : "If in a given problem, the solution to solve it rely on luck only, it is probably a bad solution."

In this case the solution is to have luck on dice. So we need to stop for a moment and think what we want to achieve.

To win, we have to kill and/or conquer buildings. The opponent must do the same.

Apparently by just passing we can get a draw. We are in no rush but at the same time we have to win. Waiting for the opponent to do a bad move is untactical.

We need to think more far and adapt, in other words we need a plan.

As Napoleon once said : "Nothing can be achieved in war except by means of precise calculations ... the case alone is never successful."

Last edited:

Rydo

Here is what i was thinking but i need you guys ( yes, even you lurking out there ;) ) to see if and how we can achieve it!

ok (2).jpg

Barthheart

Staff member
Nice analysis and I agree completely.
So we have the units in R10 and T12 that haven't acted yet this turn.
1. T12 run to melee R13 - results in 1:1 melee, they have a -1 DRM for leader. not an even fight. Also possible Op fire fro M10 to S12, caught in the open.
2. T12 run to S13 - avoid Op fire by going to T13, setup for next turn adjacent fire or take if tank shakes them. Possible Op fire from O13 but low odds shot. Possible lose init next turn and R13 shoots first.
3. Fire from T12 to R13 - 1d6 + 3FP for us 1d6 +4TEM +1 DRM for them, very bad odds.
4. Move upper level squad in R10 to P1o for possible later adjacent fire OR melee reinforcement.
5. Fire lower level R10 troops at P10 - 1d6 +4FP +1DRM for us, 1d6+4TEM +1DRM for them. Not great odds.

Also they have units in L9, L10, M10 and O13 that have not acted yet.
If we use up our actions on lower odds acts we will be at their mercy as they can then move without any actions from us.

So my suggestion for this impulse is still to pass to see what they do.

PS. I really thought the Sgt. York stack was going to keep moving.... surprised they stopped where they did....

Ty Snouffer

PS. I really thought the Sgt. York stack was going to keep moving.... surprised they stopped where they did....

Yeah, the AEO order was "Move Towards" the victory condition. Nothing about Melee. I wonder how melee is triggered instead via the AEO. *pulls out charts*

Ty Snouffer

I don't think that works in an OP fire situation as it's not an "Activation"....

I see where you're coming from. I suppose in the case of OF an "attack" is counted per hex. So two MMCs in one hex firing would count as one OF attack.

Barthheart

Staff member
Yeah, the AEO order was "Move Towards" the victory condition. Nothing about Melee. I wonder how melee is triggered instead via the AEO. *pulls out charts*

That makes sense. I think the AEO only enters melee if it starts adjacent to the target....

Rydo

Nice analysis and I agree completely.
So we have the units in R10 and T12 that haven't acted yet this turn.
1. T12 run to melee R13 - results in 1:1 melee, they have a -1 DRM for leader. not an even fight. Also possible Op fire fro M10 to S12, caught in the open.
2. T12 run to S13 - avoid Op fire by going to T13, setup for next turn adjacent fire or take if tank shakes them. Possible Op fire from O13 but low odds shot. Possible lose init next turn and R13 shoots first.
3. Fire from T12 to R13 - 1d6 + 3FP for us 1d6 +4TEM +1 DRM for them, very bad odds.
4. Move upper level squad in R10 to P1o for possible later adjacent fire OR melee reinforcement.
5. Fire lower level R10 troops at P10 - 1d6 +4FP +1DRM for us, 1d6+4TEM +1DRM for them. Not great odds.

Also they have units in L9, L10, M10 and O13 that have not acted yet.
If we use up our actions on lower odds acts we will be at their mercy as they can then move without any actions from us.

So my suggestion for this impulse is still to pass to see what they do.

Very nice points you made :)

After looking at what you've said i agree with you for the pass.

How can we use the tank effectively? I'm not too expert with tanks :sorry:

Rydo

Mr.Ty there is something i want to ask :

- Our soviets squads are the ones with Morale 5 when they are shaken or the ones with 4?

It is important. Thanks!!

Ty Snouffer

- Our soviets squads are the ones with Morale 5 when they are shaken or the ones with 4?

It is important. Thanks!!

All but one have 5s for Shaken morale. One is a 4. See the logs for details.

So are you guys passing?

Barthheart

Staff member
Very nice points you made :)

After looking at what you've said i agree with you for the pass.

How can we use the tank effectively? I'm not too expert with tanks :sorry:

The tank, right now needs to keep firing at R13. Since it has an acquired marker it doesn't need to spot before shooting. Also it gets a +1 To Hit.
We just keep blasting away until they are all dead, then move to line up the next target and repeat.