Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Return to St Vith Tutorial Planning Aids *Spoiler alert for those playing as Axis*

Iconoclast

I usually don't embrace the facebookish "like feature". I made an exception for this post. very well done.

Regards,

A

P.S.: i think Dave should consider to put these slides as an annex into the new manual. One or two slides more for the approach to St. Vith after the Lommersweiler breakthrough and the defense of St. Vith to flesh it out, and this is a great "play along" tutorial for everyone. Very educational.

*budd*

I wish somehow we could access the google maps with the game maps overlayed while in game it really shows the elevation and terrain. is there no way to put the google maps with the overlays in the game and be able to access them via hotkey somehow:) Are the google battlefield tours hosted here yet? or do i have to go over to Matrix to get them.

your AAR's are first rate, always enjoy them.

oldspec4

I wish somehow we could access the google maps with the game maps overlayed while in game it really shows the elevation and terrain. is there no way to put the google maps with the overlays in the game and be able to access them via hotkey somehow:) Are the google battlefield tours hosted here yet? or do i have to go over to Matrix to get them.

+1 regarding the overlayed maps showing terrain and elevation. I have been waiting for this since RDOA. It would be an outstanding addition to the game's immersion factor for me. I always had a problem w/ flat maps and map reading while in the army; and still do..lol.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com

budd, we cannot display google maps in game without paying for a license. Given our sales numbers are measured in a few thousand that's never going to be affordable. Sorry. Maybe one day we'll get to develop a 3D map interface of our own.

Ripppe

Aah Daz, I've craved for you AAR's! Superb stuff - as always. Very interesting to see how you approach the situation. You have already given me some new thoughts about how I should perceive the tactical options. One thing that has always bugged me is that how much micro management there should be in order to get good results. I do very much like the macro management aspect and as it was stated in CO1 manual, you should preferably give commands ~2 steps down. However - as you have done with an ENG and AG coys - you have given a company level command (which in my small mind is micro managing in this scale). I totally agree with that decision but I still find it hard for myself to decide when it is wiser to give this kind of lower level commands and when you should let higher level subordinates dictate the outcome.

Daz

I think its very much a matter of personal preference Ripppe.
I would feel cheated if I was able to win all the scenarios, just by giving a few orders at higher command levels.
The game would just become a spectator sport, watching one AI against the other, with very little user input.
Its perfectly possible if you have a strong enough force of course.
I know Peter has won this scenario with only giving a dozen or so orders.

I personally enjoy having the option of playing it both ways, depending on the mood I am in.
For a real challenge though, when the odds are stacked against you, there is nothing like having to put thought into every move you make.
Like a huge chess game where one false move at the wrong moment, could spell disaster.

As a guide to if you are over micro managing keep an eye on the on Map Boss's command load.
If it is excessively high, you are managing to many units, and if you have the scalable orders delay option turned on, the game will punish you with extended command delays.
Its not the size (Platoon, Coy, Battalion, Regiment, etc) of the unit you move that contributes to micromanaging, its the number of formations, and units you have under your direct control.

Last edited:

Ripppe

Kudos for the feedback Daz. I should have been a little more precise with what I meant with my issue. :) (Though you still managed to address it so many thanks!)

It's not a matter of if I'm willing to do some micro management. I am. As you mentioned, bare macro management would soon leave the player in a role of a spectator. The chess like setup is very much to my liking.

The actual role is where goes the line between necessary/justified micro management and where it goes over the bar. I had completely overlooked the command load of the on Map Boss! This should be a good indicator for my needs. I'll definitely keep this in mind the next time I get some time to play!