Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.
Command Ops 2, Return to St Vith Tutorial AAR part 1, pages 1-30

Command Ops 2, Return to St Vith Tutorial AAR part 1, pages 1-30 1.2

Daz

Takoda

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this, I only recently discovered this game but was hesitant to purchase it because I found the video tutorials a bit confusing, but after seeing this AAR I can now no longer resist. This is a superb effort Daz, great work.

Reactions: Daz

john connor

Just downloaded and started on this now, Daz. Fantastic. It's a superb aid, and beautiful to look at! Marvellous work. Thanks!

Reactions: Daz

Daz

Thanks guys :happy:
I would also like to thank the four guys that reviewed it in the resources section and gave it five stars :D

Hammer757

I can't say enough about this AAR! its well thought out a great presentation and extremely helpful.
I'm having trouble with the flank attack by 1 BN 318th. I have followed the move order settings to the letter and modified them as well but the units stop a lot and are never in place to support the attack on Steinebruck. compared to the 0731 slide, non of my units have made the second river crossing.
Any tips for getting them to be on time?

Last edited:

Hammer757

I think they were getting distracted by an enemy unit that is sometimes popping up to the west of the fork in the river. Enabling Bypass in the task did the trick.

Daz

Thanks for the complement Hammer :)

What you are experiencing is one of the things that makes Command Ops so great.
As soon as you have pressed the play button you are almost guaranteed to get a different game from the one you have played before.
The enemy units move around the battlefield as they see fit and can quite easily retreat across a path that you needed, holding things up for hours.
This holdup can then have other knock on effects giving you a completely different game experience.

I'm glad you have found a solution, but my advice for what its worth, would have been to press on regardless and put in the attack as soon as you had units across the river.
They would have been late, but better that than not at all.
At least that's what I was planning to do if they got held up.

Kolbex

This is an absolutely superb document and should by all rights be included with the official documentation.

MarkShot

Daz,

I did download this.

I am playing myself now without watching Dave's BFTB videos (although I had watched them five years ago and concluded Dave shouldn't quit his day job for acting). Also, playing without reading your AAR.

I spent a couple of hours two days ago analyzing terrain and forces and drawing up my plan. I am 25% through, and the fight is going well.

When done, I will check out your PDF and see how you approached the 4 day fight.

All I remember of Dave's BFTB videos were:

(1) Dave is much more a numerical player than me. I guess being the developer, he looks at the numbers of armor equivalence values and apfers and draws up a plan. I am more intuitive.

(2) And the "So, what?" test. Dave would basically say that there were two types of facts in planning. Those that count and those that are meaningless. I guess that means one of the steps in FUPing does not include prayer prior to shakeout into battle formation. :)

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Well Mark you don't know me as well as you think. I am very much an intuitive player. I don't count up the numbers per se but did so for the benefit of our users in the tutorial so those unfamiliar with military strategy could get a rough idea of what they needed to put in an effective attack.

Besides what's wrong with my acting capabilities? :p

Kolbex

I also watched all the videos, and I actually found them much more freewheeling in their strategy than the PDF, which was very methodical. Great game; unfortunately it doesn't run very well on my current machine, which I assume has to do with Windows 10. Running it in the laptop's native resolution of 3200x1800 makes the control windows far too small to read, and switching to 1920x1080 (or any resolution other than native) makes all of the game launch screens black to the point I can't actually get a scenario to launch. Blast.